Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PiedCypher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
I had an Macbook Relic from late 2006 with manuscripts and important docs and it crashed (likely the hard drive) / Purchased what I thought was a direct replacement but got sent 10.7.5 Lion osx. Can I exchange hard drives between the two by physically pulling then while off and will the older hard drive function on the slightly newer computer (same white looking model everyone is familiar with) I am hoping it wasn't the hard drive to use in the newer unit. can I switch back and forth for diagnostics?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Should be directly interchangeable, unless your "new" MacBook is actually newer (same model A1181 was sold until 2009, when the "unibody" design was introduced.

There is no version of Leopard 10.5.11 -- Apple stopped at version 10.5.8 with Leopard.
Maybe you meant Tiger? 10.4.11
And, Lion would be the most common, as MacBooks from late 2006, for next couple of years, were limited to Lion, so that's likely why you received your new one with Lion already installed.

PiedCypher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
I see my mistake:
It is likely I was wrong I have owned a few around this time (As it's crashed and I can't view it.) thank you for catching that - (edited the title) The model is definitely late 2006 / purchase new from Apple Jan 24, 2007 found the receipt model /AMA700 and in looking into it I think you have already answered my question.

One other question, please
If the older hard drive has indeed finally died, am I putting my later 2007 computer in jeopardy by seeing if the old one works in it?

I realize the data follows each hard drive when removing, but I was hoping to extract the files from the old one to thumb drives on the newer 2007 unibody (If maybe only something about the old unibody was causing the problem)

Thank you in advance :)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If that hard drive is original to your Late 2006 MacBook, then it is certainly not unusual for that to die.
I used to work in IT in a school system, and replaced many (dozens over the years) hard drives in those white MacBooks. Best way to check for possibility for file recovery is to put the "dead" drive in an external USB enclosure, or even a simple SATA to USB adapter cable. You can find those for less than $10. example: https://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter-Cable-Support-Black/dp/B07S9CKV7X
(Good step forward would be to replace a spinning hard drive in your newer MacBook with a 2.5-inch SSD :cool: )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.