Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
Hi all,

My wife and I each have our own user accounts on my MBP. I currently have iCal set up the way I want it. I would like my wife to have the exact same iCal as me. We both need to view and edit all calendars. Essentially, we want the same iCal in our user accounts and on our iPhones

We both have iPhones and we have the Mobileme Family Pack.

How can this be achieved? I've been googling for days now but I can't find an easy solution. There are a few 3rd parties offering syncing tools but I'd rather not have to pay to do this. Seems ridiculous that this can't be easily done out of the box, especially as a MobileMe subscriber.

Thanks in advance.

CRK17

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
Don't Think You Can

I wanted to do the exact same thing with my wife and our 2 iPhones and 2 user accounts. Everything I looked at said you couldn't do it because of the 2 user accounts. MobileMe is really setup for sycn'ing each user's devices and not for sycn'ing between different user accounts.

j3yq

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
Iowa
Dont mean to go off topic a bit from what your asking, But what If my wife and I each have Iphones and I want to share only Ical, can I do this with a single MM or would have have to get a Family MM.

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
Yep, I've realised it doesn't work!

I tried creating symbolic links to my iCal but it totally messed and never worked!

In the end, I've published my calendars, so has my wife. But, it seems like we both need to be logged into my MBP for changes to take affect, which is so annoying as we obviosuly can't both be logged in at the same time.

The problem with MobileMe, as far as I can tell, I may be wrong, you have to be logged into your Mac for changes to take affect. I thought 'the' cloud' pushed changed to each device, regardless of their on/off status?

I'm seriously thinking of trying Google Sync. Also, iDisk it totally useless to me, as I can't back up my iPhoto library. I've tried many times, but the back up keeps failing (after 30 or so hours!!). I'm bored of trying now.

Google here I come...

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
Dont mean to go off topic a bit from what your asking, But what If my wife and I each have Iphones and I want to share only Ical, can I do this with a single MM or would have have to get a Family MM.

Much to my dismay, this works perfectly.

You just need to add your MM account to her iPhone, and only sync Calendars (not Mail or anything else). You only need a single account for this.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I'm seriously thinking of trying Google Sync. ...
That's what I did, and I haven't looked back!

I too tried in vain to set up calendar sharing with my wife's iPhone and mine (we have a MobileMe family pack) but eventually I just decided to try Google Sync. I have my own domain, so I set it up with Google Apps, created a couple of accounts for my wife and I, and that was it. She now has access on her iPhone to some of my calendars, and I can even specify permissions on a per-calendar basis - busy/free only, read-only, or read/write. Meaning, she can see my work schedule but can't alter it (I'd hate for something to get deleted or changed by mistake!), she and I both can edit the Family calendar, and I can see her Work calendars. It works great, not only on our two iPhones but in iCal as well.

As far as calendar syncing flexibility goes, Google Sync beats MobileMe - with ease! - any day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.