Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I’ve had a set of old school hi-fi speakers for awhile, originally a part of the Panasonic SA-AK47 ‘shelf’ stereo audio system — which had a mainboard failure.

bua4sxdyopct4jleghjk.webp

Specifications:
Tweeter: Piezo type
Mid: 6 cm / ~2.4-inch dome type
Woofer: 12 cm / ~4.7-inch cone type
“Super Woofer”/Subwoofer: 17 cm / ~6.7-inch cone type
Power: up to 160W @ 6 ohms
s-l960.png

The subwoofer is wired separate from the mid and high speakers. While nice, it poses a little problem/hassle. For one, I’ve discovered it's difficult to find enclosed crossovers. I tried:

Suffice it to say, the cutoff/division frequency is far too high (2,800 Hz) and results in the midrange/woofer basically being nonexistent/unused. Therefore, I’m returning those crossovers.

Unfortunately, the second problem is finding a passive crossover, enclosed or not, that divides at a much lower frequency.

Alternatively, I considered using bass blockers. Unfortunately, a similar option for the larger/subwoofer (i.e., a low pass filter) doesn’t appear to be available in such a simple inline package — they much closer resemble crossovers with PCBs and multiple components.

Another option contemplated is using these:

However, not being enclosed — if only a knew a 3D printer enthusiast ;) — greatly increases the possibility of something coming in contact and shorting. Additionally, such a setup would require wiring the input in parallel, not the worst situation though does have its challenges, caveats, etc.

Any recommendations?
Anything I’ve overlooked?

Update:

For anyone that cares or has a similar situation, I ended up connecting the speakers in the way they were designed, with dual amplifiers, ditching the idea of a crossover or frequency divider. The AV receiver is powering the tweeters and the midrange with the following connected to the sub pre-amp out for the larger woofers.

I have it set at the highest cutoff, 200Hz, and volume set to no more than 2/3, though 1/2 is plenty for most output.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.