Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whipstitch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
I recently bought a MBP and since the screen is actually brighter than my Cinema display, I brought the latter home to connect to my home PC.

With the MBP came a converter (which I had already bought since it didn't come with my PB) that allows for adapting to, for instance, a projector from the laptop. I want to do the opposite: connect my Cinema display with DVI plug to a VGA port (I think it's called a VGA port, no?).

How can I do this; will it work?

Thanks

starfox101

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2006
I have hooked up my 20" to my son's pc, worked fine. I believe the display came with the adapter from vga to dvi, either way I have also hooked up a second display to my g5 it was a vga I had all the adapters needed. I have bought no extras.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I recently bought a MBP and since the screen is actually brighter than my Cinema display, I brought the latter home to connect to my home PC.

With the MBP came a converter (which I had already bought since it didn't come with my PB) that allows for adapting to, for instance, a projector from the laptop. I want to do the opposite: connect my Cinema display with DVI plug to a VGA port (I think it's called a VGA port, no?).

How can I do this; will it work?

Thanks

I'm afraid this won't work. The ACDs only accept digital video signals so DVI only. They can't display analogue (VGA) signals. If its a PC though it shouldn't be too hard to put a different graphics card in with a DVI connector, you can pick up DVI graphics cards for next to nothing. :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Erm, starfox101 are you sure about that? I was pretty sure that the ACDs require a digital input signal. You can get a VGA -> DVI-A adaptor (that sends the analog signal through the analog pins of the DVI), but as far as I know, this will not permit a computer that has no DVI output to display on an ACD.

Going from a computer that outputs DVI to a VGA display (it almost always works with a simple adapter) is an entirely different matter than going from a computer that outputs VGA to a DVI display that does not accept analog signals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.