Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dezigNergy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
I'm on the market for a desktop... but i'm stuck between the 20" imac g5 and a (single) 1.8ghz powermac g5 with a 20" monitor. I'll be using it for design work, mainlt photoshoping and 3d work. Also mutimedia, listening to song watching movies etc. I like the all-in-one factor of the imac but i want to be able to upgrade certain componants which the imac doesn't offer. Is it at all possible for the Vcard on the imac to be upgraded? Because this is one of my major gripes on the machine, all else i can live with.

Thanks alot for taking time to read this. Your advice is more than welcome.

;)

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
No, video in iMac cant be upgraded and this is a major gripe from many who like iMac but feel its being sold with a very ( economical ) GPU. Powermac's cant be beat and apple wants it that way. Wait a while and imac will be upgraded but its hard to tell if it will get a 6200 or another 5200. time will tell but i wouldnt expect apple to use a medium GPU.

umgolfer

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
MI
For my 2 cents....I love my new iMac. I had a Dual 2.0 PM G5, and am much happier with the new machine. The old machine was very fast, but I was using it on my old 17" Apple CRT. I love the bigger screen space, and it doesn't seem to be too much slower than the dual 2.0 (for what I do, which is not Photoshop stuff, mainly web surfing, MS Office work, etc...). I am going to be upgrading the ram soon (once I sell the sticks from my old PMG5) and I think this will make a huge difference in performance for me. I was able to return my PMG5 to Compusa, due to their awesome customer service people, and buy a iMac 20", a 15" Powerbook for the price of my old G5 and the 20" monitor. I think you can't go wrong with the iMac!

umgolfer

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
MI
That's true about gaming...probably not the best machine, but like I said for me it is perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.