Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jax Mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
Hi all,

Can anyone give me your personal thoughts on the 20" iMac? I'm currently using an old Powermac desktop (It's a 4 -1/2 year old, dual 1 Ghz Quicksilver). If the Intel switch wasn't around the corner, I'd have a new desktop already. My main work is in Photoshop, Illustrator, and occasionally some 3D programs.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting a 20" iMac to hold the fort while I wait. Would I notice any bump in speed for graphics programs? (My desktop has been reliable but occasionally quirky). I'm also considering using the 20" iMac after it's out of date as a TV or as a display at exhibitions to show video or Flash movies of new products.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I think that the 20" iMac is very nice. Have heard many positive reviews about the iMac and this model in particular. Should handle your programs very nicely. I would recommend getting extra RAM if its affordable.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I would defintiley get the iMac G5 2.0GHz G5 20". one of the best machines on the market today.

Let us know what you decide.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Jax Mac said:
Would I notice any bump in speed for graphics programs? (My desktop has been reliable but occasionally quirky).
I was using a 12" 1.33GHz PB and then got the 20" 2.0GHz iMacG5... I only do a mild bit of photoshop fiddling and I could notice a definite difference.

I love this machine, *sigh* I'm typing on it right now! I would definitely recommend it.

Jax Mac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2005
Thanks for the feedback!

It finally hit me the other day that my Quicksilver model is 4.5 years old. It's had a good life.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
One of the most elegant pieces of technology ive ever seen.... the 20" is simply amazing. I dont see how they are going to top it with the next remake of it...

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
Jax Mac said:
Hi all,

Can anyone give me your personal thoughts on the 20" iMac?

Hi,
the iMac 20" is a powerful machine, with a nice design. Comfortable RAM (1Gb or above) is a must. My only comment: it can be kinda noisy because of the fans (and not only the faulty 1st revision), which is some time annoying because it's in front of you, on the desk (instead of under the table, obviously).

A.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I have a Rev. A and I just love it. No problems at all, no noisy fans, in fact, the machine is so quiet it's scary. Go for it!

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Yeah, I have a rev A iMac G5 20 inch and it is perfect! Although, earlier this year I set up a rev A iMac G5 17 inch and it was so noisy that I felt embarassed being near it.

Angelus520

macrumors regular
May 22, 2003
Chicago
I just unpacked my 20" iMac last night after work and all I can say is, "OMG, it's big!" You don't really notice it in the store next to all the open space and the other computers, but it's definitely bigger than I expected. But it's SO awesome! Before I even plugged it in, I stuck an extra 1GB of RAM in it and then transferred all my files over from my PowerBook. That's SO slick.

Then I went through all the system updates and played around with some Photoshop and InDesign files and they opened nice and quick and looked gorgeous on the screen.

I also bought an iLugger bag since I'll be using it for DJing on occasion with tomorrow being the first time. I know it's a bit big for that but I wanted to upgrade from my PowerBook and didn't see the need to get a new one until the next major revision. The iMac will tide me over just fine.

It's hard to go back to my now little PowerBook's 15" screen after gazing at the vast amount of real estate on the iMac. Definitely a sweet upgrade.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Congrats! I'm glad you love it so far, of course, I had no doubt you would... just you wait, soon you'll be squinting anytime you have to use a smaller screen. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.