Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soba1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I’m tempted to jump on the cheaper price and take the 2020 iPad Pro 12.9” .
My question is how much more of an upgrade do u think the 2021 will be?
Is it worth the wait

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
1) All we know is it is rumored to be released this year
2) We don't know for sure what the new specs will be
3) Given the lack of information in 1 & 2, it really isn't logical to base a buying decision on the aforementioned.

$200 off is a good deal.

Even if the new iPad is released, newer tech will is already being worked on to replace it. It's not like you have a long time between refreshes.

The other aspect is the user practicality (or lack thereof) of any updates that would be of any real importance to you day to day.

Soba1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
1) All we know is it is rumored to be released this year
2) We don't know for sure what the new specs will be
3) Given the lack of information in 1 & 2, it really isn't logical to base a buying decision on the aforementioned.

$200 off is a good deal.

Even if the new iPad is released, newer tech will is already being worked on to replace it. It's not like you have a long time between refreshes.

The other aspect is the user practicality (or lack thereof) of any updates that would be of any real importance to you day to day.
it will be a huge upgrade to my I believe first gen IPad Pro and yes $200 is $200 thanks

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I'm thinking it'll be a decent upgrade. As it would most likely be an A14"x" CPU and RAM upgrade. Maybe even something on par with the M1. Who knows. It could have USB4/Thunderbolt for all we know.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Thunderbolt would probably be the biggest change, followed by mini-LED and probably 5G. If you’re looking at the 12.9”, it might be a good idea to wait. The 11” hasn’t had as many rumors. Then again, there’s always a newer model around the corner. If you don’t need thunderbolt, a slightly brighter screen, or 5G, I’d be pretty tempted to save the $200.

Reactions: Soba1

Soba1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Thunderbolt would probably be the biggest change, followed by mini-LED and probably 5G. If you’re looking at the 12.9”, it might be a good idea to wait. The 11” hasn’t had as many rumors. Then again, there’s always a newer model around the corner. If you don’t need thunderbolt, a slightly brighter screen, or 5G, I’d be pretty tempted to save the $200.
I’m going to hold out as I have read there will be a new release of the 2021 12.9” very soon. I will hold on to the new one until it starts to die. my gripe about the one I have now the 1st/2nd gen was the size. The newer models have decreased the overall size w/o affecting the screen size. So it’s a win win all around for me thanks

Reactions: PaladinGuy

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Keep in mind, that fancy new 2021 iPad Pro 12.9" w/mini LED, 5G and Thunderbolt port could possibly cost $200 more than the current one.
So with the $200 discount on the current gen, you'll be spending $400 less than you would waiting. :)

Reactions: Soba1

Soba1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Keep in mind, that fancy new 2021 iPad Pro 12.9" w/mini LED, 5G and Thunderbolt port could possibly cost $200 more than the current one.
So with the $200 discount on the current gen, you'll be spending $400 less than you would waiting. :)
That is a strong argument for not waiting ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.