Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2004 iPhone... How do I update?

• General Preferences

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Computer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
OK, then.
What exactly is a 2004 iPhone?
If you have an actual Apple iPhone from 3 years before Apple began to sell them, then - yes - it's unlikely that you can update it with anything.
You MIGHT be able to sell it to a collector, if you can offer proof of what you have... It would have to be signed and sealed by Steve Jobs, of course (good luck with that :D )

Just to answer your question - the iTunes software on a Mac - or a Windows PC, will tell you which iPhone you have - and may offer information about updating, if the iPhone is fairly new (and the 2004 that you mentioned is 10 years out of date :D )

Davidsmac2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2015
Saint Louis
Thankyou for your reply, I tried plugging the iPhone into my Mac and iTunes said it is actually a 2012 iPhone still don't have a way to update it.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
... I tried plugging the iPhone into my Mac and iTunes said it is actually a 2012 iPhone still don't have a way to update it.

Yes, iTunes will do that update for you. I don't really know what you mean by a 2012 iPhone. iTunes will tell you which model you have, in the Summary tab. You'll see the "name" that you have set for the iPhone, as well as the serial number for your iPhone. It will ALSO tell you the exact model of iPhone, likely either an iPhone 4, or an iPhone 4s sold in 2012 (but iTunes doesn't show you a year as part of the model). You will see a button where you can check for updates. If your iPhone is at the highest, or latest version of iOS, then you (and iTunes) can't update the software. BUT, you can certainly Restore your iPhone.
That will do two things: It will back up everything on your iPhone, and will erase your device and restore the software to default factory settings, including the most updated iOS that your device will run. An iPhone 4 will do, at most, iOS 7.1.2
Finally, you may need to use Recovery Mode
Is your iPhone jail-broken? The Restore in iTunes will clear that, as it restores to factory settings.

Does your iPhone boot up normally -- a white Apple on the screen, until you see the home screen?

GeronimoHero

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2013
U.S.A
Connect to WiFi, plug your iPhone in to a power source, then go to Settings--> General-->Software Update--> It'll say "checking for updates", then show you an update option. click through all of the upcoming pages (pages like the terms of service agreement), and enter your Apple ID password when requested. Your phone will then update.

You can also update through iTunes. Another poster has already detailed that process for you, so it sounds like you're all set with several options for updating your iPhone. Best of luck to you. Let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns mate.

Davidsmac2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2015
Saint Louis
I tried plugging it into my computer and found out the software isn't updateable, and it id actualy a 2012 iPhone. But... I found a site that you can search for an app and it will fing it for versions iOS 3-4.2.1 :) its a great page,

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you plugged your iPhone in to your computer, then iTunes would tell you which iPhone you have. It won't use a year - It will tell you that it is an iPhone 4, or an iPhone 4s.
If it is an iPhone 4, then in iTunes, you can click Restore, and your iPhone can be restored to factory fresh. The software version will be the latest that Apple provides for an iPhone 4, which is version 7.1.2
I think the only way you can go to an older version, such as the site you found, is to jailbreak your iPhone. A restored iPhone can't do older versions, unless you jailbreak.
And, you can also restore an iPhone 4s through iTunes. You will end up with the current iOS version 8.1.3
I'm not sure if you would be happy with iOS 8 on an iPhone 4s. But, that's the only system that a restore will give you.
And, there's also the option to jailbreak a 4s. I'm guessing that's what you have been asking, in a roundabout way.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I tried plugging it into my computer and found out the software isn't updateable, and it id actualy a 2012 iPhone. But... I found a site that you can search for an app and it will fing it for versions iOS 3-4.2.1 :) its a great page,
iPhones are generally identified by models. Is this an iPhone 5, 4S, 4, something else?

Shardlake

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2015
Are you using a Mac or PC when you're trying to update?

If it's a Mac; how old is it?

If your Mac is quite old and unlikely running the latest OS you may have an old version of iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.