Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mareman48

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2014
England
There have been many people who have successfully updated their old Mac pros to El Capitan and even sierra, particularly the 1,1/1,2 pros, my question is, are there any disc images floating around of already cloned working v14 installations builds ?

tsmvp

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2017
Ottawa,ON
I got one today for El Capitan. Just had to copy the boot.efi to the two locations and it worked first try.
Got it off this guide on YouTube.

CR

Reactions: Smith_li

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
There have been many people who have successfully updated their old Mac pros to El Capitan and even sierra, particularly the 1,1/1,2 pros, my question is, are there any disc images floating around of already cloned working v14 installations builds ?
The MP1,1 and 2,1 can be made to run El-Capitan, you'll need at least a MP3,1 to run Sierra or High Sierra.

gottria

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2010
wow this image of el captain is awesome i rebooted into master drive and its working awesome thank you so much!

Got a quick question, do you need to have an upgraded video card for this to work? I have a 1.1 that was successfully flashed to a 2.1 with 16gb of ran and several HDDs but running the stock video card. No matter what method I try all i get is a blank gray screen on boot.

Edit: Yep that was it. Added some ATI card I had in an old PC and works fine. No boot screen but it works. Now to decide if I want to keep investing in this thing.

Last edited:

neosho

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2015
I got one today for El Capitan. Just had to copy the boot.efi to the two locations and it worked first try.
Got it off this guide on YouTube.

CR

Hi, that image is amathing! just got one problem.. when i try to update 2017-003 security update from appstore it crashes and reboots.. any way to fix that??

RocksIRC

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
yeah i just installed mac app store security update and rebooted fine with my System Information: Model: Mac Pro CPU: Intel Xeon 5150 (4 Threads, 4 Cores) @ 2.66 GHz Memory: 10.00 GB Uptime: 5 minutes Disk Space: 249.07 GB Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080 OS: OS X El Capitan (Version 10.11.6, Build 15G1611)
[doublepost=1508574628][/doublepost]is there any SSD recommendations any of you have for upgrading to SSD on a MacPro 1,1? I hope to get one in the next week but am clueless as to what I should get.

P.S. this img of EL Captain has a recovery drive partition also I noticed no one mentioned it here yet so you not only get a img of el captain you get a 100% fully working install of el captain 10.11.6 with recovery partition. its a good thing!

Last edited:
Reactions: Smith_li

RocksIRC

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Hey will this image load off usb drive cause my hdd broke which i had replaced today with a fresh 640GB hdd with no osx installed yet. I have a 16GB Monster Digital USB Flash Drive. how can I get it to work off usb?

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
I downloaded this image today and now my old Mac Pro 1,1 is running El Capitan! Thanks!

msw250

Suspended
Nov 29, 2017
Someone sent me this link because I'm trying to get El Capitan, which my Macbook Air came with but which Apple Repair upgraded to Sierra, which I do not want. But when I did Internet Recovery, it took the OS back to something else.

Does this image work for Macbook Air? And if so, where is the url address he refers to in the video & where exactly would I download the image to? Sorry but this stuff is a bit out of my league.

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
This is a special disk image for machines with a 32-bit EFI and 64-bit processors. If your machine can already run Sierra, then you are not in that camp. This image therefore will most likely not work on your MacBook Air.

Reactions: jbarley

hexum311ad

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2013
Chicago, IL
thank you immensely for posting this, hopefully I'll get to use this soon. I am seeking the forums advice on the situation I am in.
  • I no longer have the boot USB drive I created to initially install Yosemite a couple years ago. Using the SFOTT method.
  • I'm having the boot to blinking question mark folder screen when I turn the machine on.
  • I only have 1 SSD in there so no other drive is interfering.
  • I tried to pop in a copy of the Snow Leopard disk, to try and reinstall that, as a way to start fresh but it seems like it wasn't being read. Or maybe since i upgraded the vid card to the 8800 i can't see the old OS setup screen.
TL:DR - MacPro boots to the folder with a question mark. I have a windows machine but no other mac. Is there ANYTHING i can do to get my machine running any OS? Thank you for your input

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
I would try putting in the original video card if you still have it. There is no reason the original disk that came with the computer would fail to work with the original hardware unless the computer has other problems.

Once you get it booted, you can use the disk image mentioned in this thread to image a blank hard drive which should boot El Cap. You'll need to switch back to the newer the vid card at that point.

If you can borrow a Mac, you could simply use disk utility with the disk image mentioned in this thread and put it on a hard drive, which would boot the computer.

hexum311ad

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2013
Chicago, IL
I would try putting in the original video card if you still have it. There is no reason the original disk that came with the computer would fail to work with the original hardware unless the computer has other problems.

Once you get it booted, you can use the disk image mentioned in this thread to image a blank hard drive which should boot El Cap. You'll need to switch back to the newer the vid card at that point.

If you can borrow a Mac, you could simply use disk utility with the disk image mentioned in this thread and put it on a hard drive, which would boot the computer.

Hey SuperMatt! thank you for taking the time to reply, I am going to follow your suggestions, I will just need to put in a little effort. Let me recap what you said to make sure I didn't miss anything.
  • PRAM. Before you replied, I read that I should also try the PRAM reset. So I'm going to do this first to see if that changes anything.
  • Original Video card. its a 2006 macpro 1,1 but I have upgraded every component possible and of course I threw it out at some point. But I don't care, I'll buy it if there's a chance it could get me back on track. GeForce 7300GT right? I can get from eBay for $20.
  • Image a blank HD using my friends MBP. I have a friend that has a MacBook Pro laptop, so I'm going to try the method in this thread (and the yosemite one) to create myself an image that i should be able to boot from.
Let me know if I missed anything, thanks again!

luismagone

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2018
I have a bootable image of a fresh El Capitan install from last year with the EFI mods already in place if anybody needs it.

Where can I get that image?

Thanks
LuisM
[doublepost=1541628212][/doublepost]
yeah i just installed mac app store security update and rebooted fine with my System Information: Model: Mac Pro CPU: Intel Xeon 5150 (4 Threads, 4 Cores) @ 2.66 GHz Memory: 10.00 GB Uptime: 5 minutes Disk Space: 249.07 GB Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080 OS: OS X El Capitan (Version 10.11.6, Build 15G1611)
[doublepost=1508574628][/doublepost]is there any SSD recommendations any of you have for upgrading to SSD on a MacPro 1,1? I hope to get one in the next week but am clueless as to what I should get.

P.S. this img of EL Captain has a recovery drive partition also I noticed no one mentioned it here yet so you not only get a img of el captain you get a 100% fully working install of el captain 10.11.6 with recovery partition. its a good thing!

Where can I get (download that Image?

Thanks

Luis M

Machac

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2018
Can someone upload a bootable 10.11.6 backup image, which I could use for my 1.1 with CCC?

Smith_li

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2020

I used the above image on my Mac Pro 1.1 a while back it works great.
How can I reinstall OSX El Capitan on my Mac Pro 1.1 when booted in the recovery partition . Can I reinstall OSX El Capitan just by clicking on reinstall OSX from the menu? Or will that install an El Capitan version downloaded from Apple that is not compatible with my Mac Pro 1.1 and make it crash ?

Last edited:

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
I used the above image on my Mac Pro 1.1 a while back it works great.
How can I reinstall OSX El Capitan on my Mac Pro 1.1 when booted in the recovery partition . Can I reinstall OSX El Capitan just by clicking on reinstall OSX from the menu? Or will that install an El Capitan version downloaded from Apple that is not compatible with my Mac Pro 1.1 and make it crash ?

Once you have installed this modified El Capitan, the safest way is to keep all you personal files in a separated HDD. There are 4 bays/slides for HDD in your MP.
In my Mac, I just keep an HDD with Lion with this El Capitan image, in case I have to re-install EL Capitan. All my personal files are in the separate HDD. You may use it as Time Machine and recovery from there too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.