Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dkeena3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2018
Detroit, Michigan
I just installed a PNY 120GB SSD into my 2006 Mac Pro 1,1. My original boot time (from the time I pressed the power button, to the point that I could log in) was 52.3 seconds. I installed the SSD and copied over the system files from my old boot HDD, and now my boot time is somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 minutes.

My Mac Pro boots the following way:

Fans rev up for about 10 seconds
White screen for about a minute or two
Apple logo appears and OS starts loading (this is where I saw an improvement, it loads much quicker)
El Capitans login screen appears.

The issue that I am having is this white screen appears for almost a minute. I'm not sure where it came from, since I never had it while booting with a HDD.

My Mac Pro is running the patched version of OS X 10.11

EDIT: If this is a problem that I cannot fix, I don't mind, the biggest improvement I saw was after I login for the first time, my OS doesn't display the rainbow ball, i don't have to wait for the menu bar for a good 5 minutes, and the dock appears instantly.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
This sounds a bit like either boot cache or PRAM. The Mac is probably looking for the old HDD when the power button is pressed (during the white screen), and first after a little wait, traverses its IO tree for other boot devices. Purge PRAM, make sure the drive is selected in Startup Disk in System Preferences and try again

dkeena3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2018
Detroit, Michigan
This sounds a bit like either boot cache or PRAM. The Mac is probably looking for the old HDD when the power button is pressed (during the white screen), and first after a little wait, traverses its IO tree for other boot devices. Purge PRAM, make sure the drive is selected in Startup Disk in System Preferences and try again
I just went into Startup Disk and selected the SSD and wow! It went down to a 27 second boot time! Thank you so much!

Reactions: h9826790

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I just went into Startup Disk and selected the SSD and wow! It went down to a 27 second boot time! Thank you so much!

You're welcome :). The machine needs to know what device ID to look for when it boots, otherwise it'll go through the time consuming process of looking through every possible option

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.