Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayb98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2020
Hi, I have a mid-2007 24” iMac that I got for free (same for a early-2008 21.5” (which might be a 20”, not sure since I don’t have it with me)). I wanted to upgrade it to Mojave because let’s face it... the latest MacOS you can install is El Capitan and it’s not that great* (especially since I’m using Xcode all the time!).
*for my needs

So I bought a T9300 to put in the 2007 model and be able to install Mojave (the original cpu won’t work and I didn’t have to do this for the 2008 model)

Despite the 2008 running smoothly and all (Xcode works very well but I haven’t tried Final Cut Pro X, my two primarily used softwares), the thing is that with 6gb max ram (unofficially) and a limitting cpu speed and choice, I want to get more out of my old free imacs!

So I was wondering if it was possible to upgrade the logic board/motherboard on either of those machines (if not both). I saw a lot of posts online about this but mostly for the 2009/2010 models so I have no clue if it’s possible or not... I don’t need to do it on both machines (I’ll give one of them to my girlfriend and she’s just gonna do homework on it so it’s fine).

Edit: Please don’t mention an SSD upgrade, I am already planning on doing that and it won’t help a lot for video editing. (I’m still going to do it cuz god knows it’s a must!). As for Ram goes, I’m looking for AT LEAST 8gb (ideally 16gb on either one of them, I’ll leave the 6gb in the one I give to my girlfriend). As for the cpu, it’d be perfect if I could get an old i7 in there! Something quad-core and clock speed of ~2.8ghz (it could be higher but whatever).

Thanks in advance!!

TwoH

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2019
For the 20 and 24" models, you can only get these for 2007, 2008, and 2009. I don't believe you can put the 2009 logic board in a 2007 case - unsure of all the differences on the 24" model, but if it's the same as the 20" model, then the 2009 has more ports, and the heatsink around the back of the logic board is different and wouldn't be able to fit into place due to the placement kettle plug in the iMac.

I wouldn't be surprised if the benefit of upgrading the GPU or CPU in your iMacs wouldn't make much of a difference nowadays either to be fair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.