Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guyfromrome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
Hello everyone, thanks for reading my question.

I have realised that my new TV doesn't have a VGA port and my 2007 Mac Mini 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo doesn't have an HD output. I have seen this cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Grade...d=1483023118&sr=8-5&keywords=pc+to+hdmi+cable but it says "make sure your computer supports HDMI otherwise the cable wouldn't work". My question is, would the cable work? I hope you'll be able to answer my query.

Thanks again for your time.

Guyfromrome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
NO, it will not.

There are a few cards that support digital out the vga.
I do not think the mini is one of them.

Generally vga is analog and hdmi is digital so you need and up scaler to convert analog to digital.

They do exist.

here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Adapters/HDMI-Adapter-Convertor-Cable-Converter-Audio-support/B00K808RVQ

an example
[doublepost=1483028207][/doublepost]Thank you very much for this, I'll look into the converter option, would you say the quality would be acceptable? I had my Mac Mini connected via VGA to my old TV and the video quality was pretty good.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
depends how good the adapter is.

it has to convert analog to digital for large resolution.
so maybe not buy the cheapest one.

I have not used one myself only the other way around, which is much easier to do.

Guyfromrome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
[doublepost=1483028207][/doublepost]Thank you very much for this, I'll look into the converter option, would you say the quality would be acceptable? I had my Mac Mini connected via VGA to my old TV and the video quality was pretty good.
[doublepost=1483028797][/doublepost]Great, I will start a research. Thank you so much and take care.
[doublepost=1483029236][/doublepost]Great, I will start a research and I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you so much and take care for now.

Guyfromrome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
depends how good the adapter is.

it has to convert analog to digital for large resolution.
so maybe not buy the cheapest one.

I have not used one myself only the other way around, which is much easier to do.

Hi again, I have bought a converter https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GA7PZBU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 it arrived today and I have plugged it. When I turn the mac mini on, the loading screen with the apple appears but as soon as the OS is loaded, a writing on the telly appears saying "unsupported signal. check your device output". any idea if I could be doing anything wrong?
Thanks in advance for this.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi again, I have bought a converter https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GA7PZBU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 it arrived today and I have plugged it. When I turn the mac mini on, the loading screen with the apple appears but as soon as the OS is loaded, a writing on the telly appears saying "unsupported signal. check your device output". any idea if I could be doing anything wrong?
Thanks in advance for this.
I'm confused why you would need a VGA adapter. Mac Minis have DVI and do not have a VGA port, so you would just need a simple DVI to HDMI cable, with no interim adapter.

Guyfromrome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
I'm confused why you would need a VGA adapter. Mac Minis have DVI and do not have a VGA port, so you would just need a simple DVI to HDMI cable, with no interim adapter.

I have a DVI to VGA adapter to be able to connect the mac to my old sony HD tv. The new TV has no VGA input. Do you think I would solve the problem by buying a cable DVI to HDMI? As you can imagine by my kind of questions, my knowledge on the matter isn't even basic but what puzzles me in this situation is why as I turn the Mac Mini on the os loading screen appears in good definition and as soon as the os is loaded the screen goes dark and tells me to check the device as the signal isn't recognised. Also, could it be that the mac is now so old that can't cater for a conversion to HDMI signal even with a converter? The TV has a scart input. Being both analog connections VGA and Scart should be able to communicate without problem, shouldn't they? Sorry about the avalanche of questions.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I have a DVI to VGA adapter to be able to connect the mac to my old sony HD tv. The new TV has no VGA input. Do you think I would solve the problem by buying a cable DVI to HDMI?
Like I said, you can just use a simple DVI to HDMI cable. Picture quality will be significantly better than with VGA, and it will cost you less money.

Guyfromrome

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2016
Like I said, you can just use a simple DVI to HDMI cable. Picture quality will be significantly better than with VGA, and it will cost you less money.

Is it really that simple? I didn't even think about the fact that the letter D in DVI stands for digital (had to look it up to be sure). So what I have tried to do is convert the signal from digital to analog via VGA adaptor and then convert it into digital again via HDMI converter. No wonder the tv is confused. Do I win some sort of price for having come up with this clever idea?
Thank you mate, I hope I'll be able to get back to you with good news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.