Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rico Muerte

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hi friends,

I was given a 2007 MBP - A1226 - which had the battery expand & die, so I dont physically have a battery for it.
I plugged a charger into it & hit the power buttons but nothing - no lights/sound/fan/anything...

So my question is, will these older machines power up with only a charger if there is no physical battery connected?
I was hoping to get it working up upgraded as much a possible, put Mojave on it, & give it to my dad...

Thanks in advance

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Hi friends,

I was given a 2007 MBP - A1226 - which had the battery expand & die, so I dont physically have a battery for it.
I plugged a charger into it & hit the power buttons but nothing - no lights/sound/fan/anything...

So my question is, will these older machines power up with only a charger if there is no physical battery connected?
I was hoping to get it working up upgraded as much a possible, put Mojave on it, & give it to my dad...

Thanks in advance
As you observed it doesn't turn on without a battery.

ab22

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
I had one & it started fine without a battery. Ran slowly, since Apple reduce performance so that power requirements exceeding the adapter rating don't cause unexpected shutdowns.

Is the adapter you have 85W ?

Reactions: Rico Muerte

Rico Muerte

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I had one & it started fine without a battery. Ran slowly, since Apple reduce performance so that power requirements exceeding the adapter rating don't cause unexpected shutdowns.

Is the adapter you have 85W ?

Thanks for the response - tried this a few times & still nothing:

Screen Shot 2023-10-10 at 3.07.03 pm.png

And yes I believe it to be a 85w charger.

Really bummed out...looks like it's either completely "dead", or requires repairs outside of my resources...

Was really hoping to bring this back to life 😔

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I have one of them. I replaced the battery years back and that one's about dead now. There have been times it seemed it wouldn't boot…and then suddenly it does.

You're not missing much if you can't get it working. Those 2007 MBPs are stuck in El Capitan as far as macOS goes.

My 2008 unibody MacBook is still rocking in Ventura via OCLP. What a difference a year makes!

nathan_reilly

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2016
Yeah it should boot with no battery, i ran mine without one back in the day. But starting can be hit or miss. I had to replace the DC power board in mine at one point. Try cleaning your magsafe, also. I use hot glue which I allow to cool and then rip out with needle nose pliers.

curnalpanic

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2008
go:teborg
Maybe the PRAM battery is dead (quite likely after 16 years). It might boot if you disconnect it.

If it still doesn't boot, try resetting the SMC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.