Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justa3valve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Oklahoma
Hello,
I have a 2008 Mac Pro that running on 10.11.6 and before I wasn't able to get the computer to access it's booting screens which became a major issue when I was starting to boot camp the computer. After a decent amount of research I determined that the graphics card was the issue after noticing the absence of an apple logo when the computer boots up and so I went and ordered a Radeon R9 280x to replace the NVIDIA GT610 that was in the machine when I purchased it.

After receiving the new GPU and installing it with both power chords going to the card I fired up the machine and got nothing, I could tell that the R9 was getting power because the fans would come on when I turn on the machine nut I couldn't seem to get a signal from the card to my monitors. So I tried reinstalling a couple of times just to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid and I tried installing into both of the lower slots seeing if that was an issue and I left my old GPU in to make sure that the computer was still actually working and it did.

Then in my haste at 1:00 in the morning I accidentally booted up the computer with out my hard drives in the bays and when I put them I'm not 100% sure that I put them in in the correct order either due to the previous owner stripping the screws that keep the hard drives in the holders so I never put them in numeric order.

So could anyone out there please help me in the very darkest hour with this computer and give me some technical advise to help get my Mac back up and running?

I'm not sure if the old GPU just finally gave out or what, Ive tried the PRAM and SMC resets and have gotten no where. I've looked at the LED diagnostic thats behind the RAM trays and the second one is yellow and the last 2 are green. I can also still hear the boot chime and everything seems to start normally except for the lack of a screen.

PLEASE HELP!

Attachments

• IMG_5095.JPG
    IMG_5095.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 312
  • IMG_5096.JPG
    IMG_5096.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 246

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Hello,
I have a 2008 Mac Pro that running on 10.11.6 and before I wasn't able to get the computer to access it's booting screens which became a major issue when I was starting to boot camp the computer. After a decent amount of research I determined that the graphics card was the issue after noticing the absence of an apple logo when the computer boots up and so I went and ordered a Radeon R9 280x to replace the NVIDIA GT610 that was in the machine when I purchased it.

After receiving the new GPU and installing it with both power chords going to the card I fired up the machine and got nothing, I could tell that the R9 was getting power because the fans would come on when I turn on the machine nut I couldn't seem to get a signal from the card to my monitors. So I tried reinstalling a couple of times just to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid and I tried installing into both of the lower slots seeing if that was an issue and I left my old GPU in to make sure that the computer was still actually working and it did.

Then in my haste at 1:00 in the morning I accidentally booted up the computer with out my hard drives in the bays and when I put them I'm not 100% sure that I put them in in the correct order either due to the previous owner stripping the screws that keep the hard drives in the holders so I never put them in numeric order.

So could anyone out there please help me in the very darkest hour with this computer and give me some technical advise to help get my Mac back up and running?

I'm not sure if the old GPU just finally gave out or what, Ive tried the PRAM and SMC resets and have gotten no where. I've looked at the LED diagnostic thats behind the RAM trays and the second one is yellow and the last 2 are green. I can also still hear the boot chime and everything seems to start normally except for the lack of a screen.

PLEASE HELP!

Neither of those cards function with the 2008 Mac Pro out of the box. Grab an Nvidia GeForce GT 120 and it should work beautifully.

The one you want looks like this.

GEFORCE-GT-120-CO-lg.jpg

Apple_MC002ZM_A_nVIDIA_GeForce_GT_120_608918.jpg

justa3valve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Oklahoma
I realize neither of them are “Mac GPUs” but the one I purchased was suppose to be Mac flashed so I’m not sure if it’s just not getting enough power of if it was DOA. Also my old one use to at least let me see once the computer logged in. But suddenly stopped letting me see anything. Could it have possibly died or what?

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
The PC Cards will work once a driver is loaded for them, so there won't be a boot screen. Do what z970mp said and get a cheap GT120 or something. Its nice to have a Mac card around for diagnosing. The one you purchased that was "supposedly flashed" might not be or might not have been done correctly. Throw in a Mac card and see if you can get it to work.

Reactions: z970

justa3valve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Oklahoma
Okay just an update, I was finally able to get my Mac to boot into recovery mode on the GT610 and I ended up using terminal commands to repair my hard drives but the R9 still isn’t responding or even showing up in my about this Mac section. Could it not be getting enough power?

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Thats a possibility. Make sure its plugged into the PCIe power connecters properly. Also, I recommend upgrading to High Sierra. http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/ it will work. I have it on my 2008 Mac Pro.

I might be wrong but I don't think El Capitan has drivers built in for the R9. I thought they were added in Sierra or High Sierra.

justa3valve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Oklahoma
Yeah finally got some time to try and do that High Sierra install and now my computer will shut down right after it chimes.

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
This happened after you installed? This sounds like to me that you need to grab a factory mac pro video card so you can actually see what is going on.

Reactions: z970
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.