Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ihatemy2011macbookpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2023
i just bought a 2008 macbook pro 13". it is the lower model without the backlit keyboard. i also have a broken 2011 macbook pro 15" (its the gpu issue but it doesnt load internet recovery mode so i can fix it at all). those have the backit keyboard. would it be possibe to replace the keyboard on the 2008 model with the backlit one from the 2011 amd have it be backlit or are there not the proper connections on the logic board for the backlitness or whatever?

vishvajit

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2023
It is possible to replace the keyboard on your 2008 MacBook Pro with the backlit keyboard from your 2011 MacBook Pro, but it may not be a straightforward process. The main issue is that the keyboard connector on the logic board of the 2008 model may not be compatible with the backlit keyboard from the 2011 model. Additionally, the logic board on the 2008 model may not have the necessary hardware to support the backlighting feature.

If the connector on the logic board of the 2008 MacBook Pro is not compatible with the backlit keyboard from the 2011 model, you would need to find a compatible keyboard that is designed specifically for the 2008 model. Alternatively, you could try to modify the connector on the 2011 keyboard to make it compatible with the 2008 logic board, but this would require some technical knowledge and skill.

Even if the keyboard connector is compatible, you may still need to modify the firmware on the logic board to enable the backlighting feature. This can be a complicated process, and it may not be possible without specialized tools and expertise.

In summary, while it is technically possible to replace the keyboard on your 2008 MacBook Pro with a backlit keyboard from a 2011 model, it may not be a simple or practical solution. You may want to consider other options, such as using an external keyboard with backlighting or upgrading to a newer MacBook Pro with a built-in backlit keyboard.

ihatemy2011macbookpro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2023
It is possible to replace the keyboard on your 2008 MacBook Pro with the backlit keyboard from your 2011 MacBook Pro, but it may not be a straightforward process. The main issue is that the keyboard connector on the logic board of the 2008 model may not be compatible with the backlit keyboard from the 2011 model. Additionally, the logic board on the 2008 model may not have the necessary hardware to support the backlighting feature.

If the connector on the logic board of the 2008 MacBook Pro is not compatible with the backlit keyboard from the 2011 model, you would need to find a compatible keyboard that is designed specifically for the 2008 model. Alternatively, you could try to modify the connector on the 2011 keyboard to make it compatible with the 2008 logic board, but this would require some technical knowledge and skill.

Even if the keyboard connector is compatible, you may still need to modify the firmware on the logic board to enable the backlighting feature. This can be a complicated process, and it may not be possible without specialized tools and expertise.

In summary, while it is technically possible to replace the keyboard on your 2008 MacBook Pro with a backlit keyboard from a 2011 model, it may not be a simple or practical solution. You may want to consider other options, such as using an external keyboard with backlighting or upgrading to a newer MacBook Pro with a built-in backlit keyboard.
thank u for all the help bro 🙏 a backlit keyboard is not necessary to me i just thought it might be nice to have so i was curious. only the 2.0ghz models don’t have a backlit keyboard; everything higher has it. so i’m hoping the connected would be the same because i don’t think apple would make a whole different logic board for the 2.0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.