Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Our family bought a 27" iMac 11,1 in 2009 for my wife's graduate studies. It's a quad core i5 with 8GB of RAM and a 1TB 7200 RPM HDD. It's now a family computer/hub for photos, videos, music, word processing, email, bills, etc. We don't have a viable laptop (2-3 iPads and 2-3 iPhones). The iMac still works reliably but is now slowing down a bit.

Here's my question: what would be the most economical long-term solution?
  • Replace HDD with a SSD?
  • Upgrade memory?
  • Sell iMac and get a new iMac?
  • Sell iMac and get a laptop of some sort?
Can anyone ballpark the cost/benefit of these options? I like technology, but the most significant computer repair I've ever performed is a RAM upgrade in this iMac. :-/

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Will

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Replace the HDD with an SSD. I did that to my similar-speced mid 2010 27" iMac (as well as a clean El Capitan install) and it no longer feels slow like it used to.

Reactions: willmtaylor

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Replace the HDD with an SSD. I did that to my similar-speced mid 2010 27" iMac (as well as a clean El Capitan install) and it no longer feels slow like it used to.
If I've never done much upgrade work, do you think this is something that I could do myself, or am I better of letting a local shop take care of it? How much fiscal investment am I looking at for parts? $200-$300 or so?

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
If I've never done much upgrade work, do you think this is something that I could do myself, or am I better of letting a local shop take care of it? How much fiscal investment am I looking at for parts? $200-$300 or so?
It depends how confident you are, but there are kits and online guides you can follow. If you plan to completely replace the HDD (as I did), you'll need the OWC temperature sensor or another way of controlling the fan speed.

Easttime

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2015
It depends how confident you are, but there are kits and online guides you can follow. If you plan to completely replace the HDD (as I did), you'll need the OWC temperature sensor or another way of controlling the fan speed.

I just went through this. I bought the OWC SSD kit online (excellent service) but then I made the mistake of thinking I could install it myself. I am no stranger to modifying PCs, but iMacs are a different story. In spite of studying every online video and taking what I thought was great care, I broke mine somehow which led to an expensive repair bill. Wish I had just bought the SSD kit and then taken it into the local Apple-authorized repair shop to let them install it. Only a half hour job for a pro. Fixed now, and my old iMac feels like a 2016 model. Very fast boot.

Plan backups first.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I just went through this. I bought the OWC SSD kit online (excellent service) but then I made the mistake of thinking I could install it myself. I am no stranger to modifying PCs, but iMacs are a different story. In spite of studying every online video and taking what I thought was great care, I broke mine somehow which led to an expensive repair bill. Wish I had just bought the SSD kit and then taken it into the local Apple-authorized repair shop to let them install it. Only a half hour job for a pro. Fixed now, and my old iMac feels like a 2016 model. Very fast boot.

Plan backups first.
Ok, that's really helpful. I may buy the OWC kit and call a local shop. Thanks for the advice. Glad it made a difference.

Do you mind telling me what you paid for the kit?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.