Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
I am about to upgrade my CPU to a 6 core but there are conflicting instructions between the Apple MP Tech Guide and other unofficial guides.

The Apple guide says to use a pattern like this:

page163image8672.png

But others say to use a small drop in the middle of the CPU. Does it matter?

Alex Sanders74

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
I am about to upgrade my CPU to a 6 core but there are conflicting instructions between the Apple MP Tech Guide and other unofficial guides.

View attachment 843690

Just swapped a cpu into a 5.1 recently and followed the exact guide you're showing. Very thin bead as the diagram shows and it's been fine after tightening heatsink screws. Temps are quite good. I'd say use this guide, but others may have their own opinions on this.

Keep the bead thin as too much paste will squish out from the heatsink and make a mess.

orph

macrumors 68000
Dec 12, 2005
UK
if you use a good thermal paste that is not conductive you can't go to wrong.
I did an 'X' with dots between the legs (4-5 years ago) and never had a problem.
(I suspect I used to much but nothing bad happend :D)

the important thing is the die is in the center (may be a rectangle which will explain the apple diagram) so as long as thats covered your good to go, the pic you posted looks good to me.

when I did it the first time I was tad scared but now I kind of know you cant relay go to wrong, all the intel dies are centered and not to big

did a serch and found this image of a macpro cpu die (ie under the IHS)
cpu.JPG
so as long as above that die is covered your good

Reactions: Alex Sanders74

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

View attachment 843690

In most case, doesn't really matter.

flehman

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2015
I applied a slightly less than pea-sized amount of AS-5 to the center and screwed down the heat sink on top. Idle temps are 34-36 C. 4,1 with a single 5690.

zackkmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Denver
I have a single CPU 5.1 (3.33GHz 6-core) and I did enough to cover the lid in an even thin layer, my temps are pretty low and stable at ~36 degrees Celsius in light tasks. I would imagine the method you posted is fine as long as the die gets a thin, even coat.

Last edited:

Samford

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2011
I too have a single CPU W3680 (3.33GHz 6-core) 5,1 and did a 5mm pea in center and 4 small dots towards each corner and the CPU heat sink sits a 26-28 C in a cool room. Yes I do run my fans a little higher than Apple do. NT-H1 thermal paste used.

Attachments

• MacFan.png
    MacFan.png
    101.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.