Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbigkilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
I have a 2017 iMac running Ventura 13.1 & an older 2009 iMac that was running El Capitan. The OS on the 09 was deleted and I have been trying to reinstall to no avail. I have the El Capitan.dmg file from Apple. I also got the .app file (Install OS X El Capitan.app) I formatted my drive as shown to a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as well as the scheme (GUID Partition Map). Originally I was unable to access the .app file until I used Pacifist where I think I got the right file. I put the .app file into my application folder, ran terminal entered: sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app this was of course after naming my thumb drive MyVolume. Upon doing so I was told: /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app does not appear to be a valid OS installer application

Now I'm not sure what to do. My iMac doesn't recognize the thumb drive and I'm stuck. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated as I've spent a good amount of time doing this.

mrbigkilla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2023
I have a 2017 iMac running Ventura 13.1 & an older 2009 iMac that was running El Capitan. The OS on the 09 was deleted and I have been trying to reinstall to no avail. I have the El Capitan.dmg file from Apple. I also got the .app file (Install OS X El Capitan.app) I formatted my drive as shown to a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as well as the scheme (GUID Partition Map). Originally I was unable to access the .app file until I used Pacifist where I think I got the right file. I put the .app file into my application folder, ran terminal entered: sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app this was of course after naming my thumb drive MyVolume. Upon doing so I was told: /Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app does not appear to be a valid OS installer application

Now I'm not sure what to do. My iMac doesn't recognize the thumb drive and I'm stuck. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated as I've spent a good amount of time doing this.
I ended up figuring it out. Thank you!

Reactions: Jack Neill
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.