Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KingArthur

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2001
Marion, Ohio
Just wondering. When someone mentioned blue-laser DVDs, I became confused. DVDs are currently on the blue wavelength and CDs are on the red. Is it possible that they will be more of a violet wavelength? Also, didn't DVD-RAM disks have enclosures? I never owned one, but it was my preception that they were, maybe I was wrong.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
It sounds like these new technologies might only be used in servers and workstations at first. I imagine the technology may not be immediately ready (and could be too costly, anyway) for desktops and notebooks. :( Maybe in the PM and Xserve, though. :D

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
Originally posted by MacBandit
Yes, DVD-RAM drives still use enclosures.

Actually, it's the other way around. They went to enclosures from not having them, IIRC. Last time I checked, the DVD-RAM drives that Apple shipped were enclosureless.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by GeeYouEye

Actually, it's the other way around. They went to enclosures from not having them, IIRC. Last time I checked, the DVD-RAM drives that Apple shipped were enclosureless.

Well I'll be ****ed and stuffed. Sometimes you get a good case of foot in mouth around here. I guess it's just that I have never seen a DVD-RAM drive without a case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.