Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Php4u

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
Sacramento, CA
I have my 2010 cMP running well with separate disks for Windows 11 (kids gaming) and Monterey as the primary boot disk with OCLP 06.7 with an RX 5600 XT GPU. However, when I try to upgrade to Ventura, the installer seems to work, but when it comes to the 1st boot the process seems to stall on the Apple logo and the progress bar sticks at about 40%. I did do the PRAM reset with 3 chimes and tried to install with a separate USB installer, all with no success.

If you have experienced this, how did you overcome it?

nettmanek

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2017
Wolverhampton UK
Maybe it’s the disk causing that issue, we just had another topic there where system was not booting because of NVME type

Have you tried to install it on another hdd?

Reactions: Php4u

Php4u

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
Sacramento, CA
aaaah, good suggestion. I do have Monterey installed on a NVMe drive seated in a PCIe card. I will try to install it on a 2TB SSD I have.
Thanks for the suggestion! I will report back on the results.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Maybe it’s the disk causing that issue, we just had another topic there where system was not booting because of NVME type

Have you tried to install it on another hdd?
Where was that post? I’m having some issues with my two NVMe drives on a PCIe card, could be enlightening.

nettmanek

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2017
Wolverhampton UK
I’m trying to find it now with no luck :( as always when I want to find something when needed

He mentioned that it was the type of NVME causing issue.

Php4u

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Where was that post? I’m having some issues with my two NVMe drives on a PCIe card, could be enlightening.
Good point. I have the NVMe card in the #2 slot. 1# GPU, 2# dual NVMe card, 3# USB3 card, 4# dual NVMe card for Windows disk. Maybe I should swap slots?
Also, I was unable to find the post I had seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larry-K

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
You might wait. The progress bars are notoriously unreliable.
Mine trundled forever on a PCie M2 disk!
I just left the room and came back an hour or so later and it was done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Php4u

Php4u

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Thanks. I have waited for nearly an hour with negative results. My last attempt will be to install on a SSD then clone it to the NVMe disk. We will see.

Php4u

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Update - Until I hear something different I will not pursue any upgrades and leave the disk at Monterey. I was unable to install Ventura on a SSD with a thumb drive install.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Under OCLP I tend to do new installs on another volume and then use Migration Assistant.
My Ventura update to 13.4.1 did not work and I just installed over 13.4.0 with a complete installer. That completed.
My daily driver on that system is still Monterey.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
I’m trying to find it now with no luck :( as always when I want to find something when needed

He mentioned that it was the type of NVME causing issue.
Thanks for looking, I ended up just going to Monterey, it will meet my needs for now.

The same setup that wouldn’t work with Ventura went smoothly with OCLP and Monterey. The Samsung 970 EVO Plus Drives don’t seem to be an issue.

I’ll wait till Ventura is put to bed and the OCLP team has time to finalize everything before I try to install it again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.