Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walnawk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Seattle, WA
I am new to Mac. I erased my mac mini by accident, it is a 2010 Mac Mini. Apple store said that don't support that. I have done serious research and gotten mixed advice on what to do, I do need the High Sierra OS which I don't have, my favor to ask is: can someone here share with me an old High Sierra so I can download and make a USB to boot my Mac. I appreciate your response in advance. My plan is to borrow my friend's mac (I only have PC at home) so that I can reformat a USB and put the Mac OS on it to use as a boot disk.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I am new to Mac. I erased my mac mini by accident, it is a 2010 Mac Mini. Apple store said that don't support that. I have done serious research and gotten mixed advice on what to do, I do need the High Sierra OS which I don't have, my favor to ask is: can someone here share with me an old High Sierra so I can download and make a USB to boot my Mac. I appreciate your response in advance. My plan is to borrow my friend's mac (I only have PC at home) so that I can reformat a USB and put the Mac OS on it to use as a boot disk.
Get High Sierra directly from Apple. It's linked on this page: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

walnawk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Seattle, WA
I tried that already, it says "the item requested is not available in the US store". So I am wondering if anyone in here might have a downloaded copy stashed away and willing to share in here.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
You could try downloading Sierra from that page then. You can easily update to High Sierra after installing Sierra.

walnawk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2015
Seattle, WA
Yes, that makes sense. I should get a lower copy then upgrade....
I also found this website, it claims to be Hi Sierra, not familiar with this website at all....https://themacgo.com/macdownload/

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I tried that already, it says "the item requested is not available in the US store". So I am wondering if anyone in here might have a downloaded copy stashed away and willing to share in here.
You need to use a High Sierra compatible Mac to get the update. Your Mac supports internet recovery so you can do all of this right from your Mac Mini. Start up holding command-option-r, and the computer may already download High Sierra directly. It may also install an earlier version of macOS if the computer has not ever had macOS 10.12.4 or later on it.

Reactions: mdgm

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
You need to use a High Sierra compatible Mac to get the update. Your Mac supports internet recovery so you can do all of this right from your Mac Mini. Start up holding command-option-r, and the computer may already download High Sierra directly. It may also install an earlier version of macOS if the computer has not ever had macOS 10.12.4 or later on it.
Provided the Mini was updated to Lion (or newer) with necessary EFI update installed then you should be able to use Internet Recovery. If internet recovery doesn't work for you then a USB Bootable installer would be the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.