Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Currently running

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010)
2.53 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

VIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB
Intel HD Graphics 288 MB

It takes an age to boot up but apart from that its in pretty good order.
It feels a long time since I updated the OS at all and just wondering if there is any need to, or the pros and cons of doing so?
The last thing I want is for it to run any slower!

Thanks

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Officially, your Mac stops at High Sierra, but unofficially, you can update it to Mojave and Catalina.

Personally, I would just stay with High Sierra unless you have a reason/need to use a newer OS.

It takes an age to boot up but apart from that its in pretty good order.
You might want to consider using a SSD. They are pretty easy to install on your model, and it would make your Mac feel like a new(ish) computer.

It feels a long time since I updated the OS at all and just wondering if there is any need to, or the pros and cons of doing so?
While Apple hasn't officially announced it (I don't think they ever do), they are most likely no longer providing security updates for High Sierra. So, updating will give you security updates again.

Personally, I would just stick with High Sierra and use a third party browser. Firefox will continue to have security support for High Sierra for at least a few years. This will not be as secure as Apple's OS security updates, but will be a lot more secure than using Safari.

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Thanks for taking the time to reply, very informative. Ill be sticking to HS!

I am fully backed up to Time Machine.

If i was to buy an SSD, replace it in my laptop, what is the process to then install my backup and a new OS of my choice?

Thanks

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
If i was to buy an SSD, replace it in my laptop, what is the process to then install my backup and a new OS of my choice?
There are many different ways to do this.

There are basically a few basic steps that can be done in a different order:

1. Get a SATA SSD, they are pretty cheap now. You can get a 1TB SSD for less than $100.

2. Get an USB enclosure or USB to SATA adapter. These are really cheap.

3. Connect the SSD to the Mac using the USB solution, and format the drive using Disk Utility.

4. Either clone your existing drive to the SSD using CCC or something similar.

or

4. Install High Sierra to the SSD, and use Apple's Migration Assistant to move your profiles, settings, file, apps, and documents to SSD from the internal Drive.

5. Swap the HDD for the SSD.

6. Enable TRIM using Terminal. This is super easy, so don't worry about this.

7. Enjoy.

There are other ways to do this as well, but the above is an easy way to do it.

You can keep the HDD around to use as a bootable back up.

Amazon sells this USB/SATA cable, I have purchased a few of these:

I like it because the cable is longer than most other USB/SATA adapter cables. The price went up a little, but still less than $10.

Reactions: james-bailey

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Would I be able to use my FireWire port to SATA?

my USB ports are pretty slow, so I usually connect removable HDs using FireWire

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Would I be able to use my FireWire port to SATA?

my USB ports are pretty slow, so I usually connect removable HDs using FireWire
You can use FW800 to SATA adapters or enclosures, but they will most likely be harder to fine, more expensive, and not a huge increase in performance.

It might be worth the cost if you plan on using the old HDD for a bootable back up or external storage.

But, if you are just doing it as a one time way to clone your drive or the occasional back up, I would just get the USB3/SATA adapter.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I guess another advantage of using a FW solution versus a USB solution would be TRIM support when using SSDs externally.

But again, if this was just an one-time cloning of your bootdrive, or to use the old internal HDD as a back up drive, the lack of TRIM over USB isn't going to impact anything.

If you were thinking of getting an external SSD in addition to the internal SSD, then I would consider getting FW, but it doesn't sound like that is your plan.

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
I guess another advantage of using a FW solution versus a USB solution would be TRIM support when using SSDs externally.

But again, if this was just an one-time cloning of your bootdrive, or to use the old internal HDD as a back up drive, the lack of TRIM over USB isn't going to impact anything.

If you were thinking of getting an external SSD in addition to the internal SSD, then I would consider getting FW, but it doesn't sound like that is your plan.
Hey an update, I bought a Samsung SSD, attached via USB, used CCC to clone and replaced the hard drives, hey presto this is like a new mac and saved me over £2400!

Very happy, thanks!

james-bailey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2010
Hey guys so I am needing to do a Time Machine backup as its been around a month since I did the HDD > SSD replacement.

Can anyone tell me if the first TM back up, (after a hard drive clone replacement) backs up the whole new drive? Or just anything new since the install?

I named the new one 'Macintosh SSD' instead of the old 'Macintosh HD' so I am assuming that TM could see this as a whole new drive and backup?

many thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.