Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OSxUserMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2019
I have a 2011 13" MacBook Pro that *for years had a broken L Shift. I tried OSX reinstalls, safe mode, diagnostics, and the on screen keyboard. I just came to accept it... Somewhere over the years the L option and L command failed. Both at the same time after the machine was off for an extended period.

I lived with it for years but finally decided to try and replace it. I ordered a replacement KB from China (Janri). Last night I finally had the time to install it. When I did I was very disappointed to find that even more keys didn't work.

With the replacement KB - P, L shift, L caps, L control, L option, and L command are all not working. I plugged the original KB back in to test and it's like before, with the original KB the failed keys are just L shift, L control, and L option...

I'm wondering if the KB port itself on the logic board could be damaged? It wouldn't explain why the number of broken keys is different but at this point I'm not sure what else to try and any time I Google 'MacBook' and 'keyboard issues' it's almost impossible to find anything due to the issues with the post-2015 butterflies...

Any thoughts??? I'm desperate to keep this going going for just another few years until I can actually afford a new machine.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.