Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddeadserious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Plymouth, MI
Did some searching and found very few threads on the topic.

Have a Intel X-25M 120GB G2 drive. Was using it in a 2.66 i7 2010 MBP.

I installed it in my new 2.3 i5 13" 2011 MBP.

It doesn't boot.

From what I've read, I may need to update the firmware? If this is the case...

When I do so, will my data be disposed of, or will it just update the firmware and then work?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Put the original HD back in the 2011 machine, and see if the machine boots up. This way you've confirmed that both the SSD and the laptop still work separately.

If they both work, maybe secure erase the SSD and try again.

ddeadserious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Plymouth, MI
Put the original HD back in the 2011 machine, and see if the machine boots up. This way you've confirmed that both the SSD and the laptop still work separately.

If they both work, maybe secure erase the SSD and try again.

Yep, I'm on the machine right now, runs great on the stock HD.

Any other ideas before erasing the SSD? I'd rather not resort to that if possible.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Someone else might have a better solution, but since both things work fine on their own, I'd just write off another hour to secure erase and reinstall the OS on the SSD. Feels like the first time wonky something went.

ddeadserious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Plymouth, MI
It's just strange to me. The 2011 MBP will mount the disk, I can look at the files when it's mounted as a USB drive. The Black MacBook with boot from it and run properly, but the 2011 MBP won't. I'll try erasing it and doing a fresh install.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
It's just strange to me. The 2011 MBP will mount the disk, I can look at the files when it's mounted as a USB drive. The Black MacBook with boot from it and run properly, but the 2011 MBP won't. I'll try erasing it and doing a fresh install.

I assumed this before, but did you put the drive into the '11 machine and install the OS there or did you just drop in the OS installed SSD from another machine?

ddeadserious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Plymouth, MI
I was hoping to just swap the drive and keep all my data in tact - quick and easy transition.

That being said, I have os x installing on the 2011 machine right now. Will report back.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
I was hoping to just swap the drive and keep all my data in tact - quick and easy transition.

That being said, I have os x installing on the 2011 machine right now. Will report back.

That's the issue, the drive will work now that you're installing it on the right machine.

ddeadserious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Plymouth, MI
Interesting. Any specific ideas why that was the case? I swapped it from a '09 MBP to the '10 one seamlessly, think it was just the SATA3 interface or drivers?

Regardless, it's working great now, thanks for the help.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Interesting. Any specific ideas why that was the case? I swapped it from a '09 MBP to the '10 one seamlessly, think it was just the SATA3 interface or drivers?

Regardless, it's working great now, thanks for the help.

Anytime, your machine is newer than the OS you tried originally so lacked the necessary drivers. That's why the SSD did work on the black laptop, though, as that OS was newer than the black laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.