Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jedphoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2020
Hey all,

Quick question if I may... if you only see the first two lights lighting up on the logic board, is that indicative of a logic board failure, or GPU failure?

Some background, this computer is a 2011 i7 with a K4100M gpu that was installed about two years ago (had this done by someone else). Recently, I noticed some odd banding in my photos and realized it was a computer issue as those same files looked great on other computers. Then, after turning the computer off, the screen wouldn't always turn on unless it had been off for a day or so. Now, when turning the computer on, it will chime, but the screen stays black. I took the screen off and now see that only the first two led lights are turning on.

Obviously, it is probably time to get a new computer, but hoping I can get a few months out of it if possible.

Thanks

16v

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2018
I think its a gpu failure.
Broken gpu, or thermal past needs to be renewed...

Jedphoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2020
After taking the screen off, I vacuumed and dusted the internals, and now it is working for the moment. Unfortunately, I don't trust the machine, so time to double check my backups while I can.

Jedphoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2020
After taking the screen off, I vacuumed and dusted the internals, and now it is working for the moment. Unfortunately, I don't trust the machine, so time to double check my backups while I can.
Well, that didn’t last long. Computer shut down like a power outage.

Power supply maybe?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.