Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tharan2101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2023
I have a 2011 27inch mac that I had bootacamped with Windows 10 a while ago, everything ran smoothly till it started to make a pop sound then restart. I assumed that it would be the wire at fault so I changed that but still every once n a while it would make a pop. I decided to change sockets and after a day of constant use it was fine, but on the next day the same popping sound happened followed by a restart. After some googling etc I found people had a similar restarting issue and it was due to the PSU so I changed it out for a known good PSU (from ebay). I had done that installation yesterday and i had stress tested the Mac and ran it all day but it still hadn't restarted or popped so I assumed it had fixed the problem. As I turned on the Mac this morning while it was turning on I heard the pop again, so far of use its been working for roughly an hour. Was it just a fluke after adding the new PSU or could it be something else?

For reference I have upgraded the RAM and changed to an SSD (Crucial 500GB) but thats about it.

Any help or guidance would be really appreciated.

Rich B22

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2019
I have a 2011 27inch mac that I had bootacamped with Windows 10 a while ago, everything ran smoothly till it started to make a pop sound then restart. I assumed that it would be the wire at fault so I changed that but still every once n a while it would make a pop. I decided to change sockets and after a day of constant use it was fine, but on the next day the same popping sound happened followed by a restart. After some googling etc I found people had a similar restarting issue and it was due to the PSU so I changed it out for a known good PSU (from ebay). I had done that installation yesterday and i had stress tested the Mac and ran it all day but it still hadn't restarted or popped so I assumed it had fixed the problem. As I turned on the Mac this morning while it was turning on I heard the pop again, so far of use its been working for roughly an hour. Was it just a fluke after adding the new PSU or could it be something else?

For reference I have upgraded the RAM and changed to an SSD (Crucial 500GB) but thats about it.

Any help or guidance would be really appreciated.
Here's an article with things to try. It doesn't mention the popping sound, but some of it is good information in general when having an issue.
The first thing I'd look at is do you have enough free space on your SSD. To run smoothly, you need at least 15% and some sources say 25%! The next would be starting up in Safe Mode and then restarting normally. Many times, that alone will fix some issues. Then I'd go on to some of the other suggestions in the article
Good luck,

tharan2101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2023
Here's an article with things to try. It doesn't mention the popping sound, but some of it is good information in general when having an issue.
The first thing I'd look at is do you have enough free space on your SSD. To run smoothly, you need at least 15% and some sources say 25%! The next would be starting up in Safe Mode and then restarting normally. Many times, that alone will fix some issues. Then I'd go on to some of the other suggestions in the article
Good luck,
I did some testing and it was also the wire, after replacing the PSU the wire also needed a changing that fixed it. Thanks tho

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.