Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iamthemyth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
Hello,
I bought a ‘11 MacBook Pro with the gpu issue. There is an hdd with high Sierra installed in the device.
I successfully managed to boot into the OS (by disabling the defective gpu in the terminal). The problem is there is of course a password required from the previous user. I bought a ssd to replace the hdd but the problem is I can’t boot with the blank ssd because obviously there is an defective graphics card and I can’t deactive it like I did before on the hdd because this method only works if an OS is already on the disc. So what the f am I doing now?

yaabe

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2020
I recommend. Using the Carbon Copy Cloner(Or other cloning software), it is satisfied if you want to clone the HDD content to SSD.

firelighter487

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2014
The Netherlands

I’m not sure how helpful this is since i don’t know if you can boot to single user mode with that gpu issue, but if thos works you should be able to make a new account and then clone the OS to the new drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.