Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

procrit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

I tried to perform a clean install of MacOS High Sierra on my 2011 iMac 27" (EMC2429) using these instructions* (created a bootable USB); however it's been failing. Specifically, after erasing the "Macintosh HD" it tried to install Sierra from the bootable USB disk but prompted this message:

"macOS could not be instead on your computer. The path /System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged."

I then followed a few of the tips and guides on here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macos-could-not-be-installed-on-your-computer-fixed.2058800/

I launched Disk Utility and see that the HD is still intact since it lists my "Macintosh HD" in Disk Utility.
I also tried to Restore via Time Machine, however I left it running overnight and it still isn't working.
I then decided to create a bootable USB of MacOS Sierra but booting from the USB didn't work either.

I also found this person's Medium post, but I couldn't seem to launch Terminal once I was in Disk Utility:
https://medium.com/@aeronode/how-i-fixed-my-non-booting-macos-high-sierra-installation-45d238b78c3d

Any one else having the same issues as I am? I am almost tempted to just rip out the old HD and installing a new one but it seems quite tedious and not sure if how I can load the macOS in the new HD before installing it.

*https://lifehacker.com/how-to-make-a-bootable-macos-sierra-usb-flash-drive-1786853248
*https://www.imore.com/how-create-bootable-installer-mac-operating-system-high-sierra

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I tried to perform a clean install of MacOS High Sierra on my 2011 iMac 27" (EMC2429) using these instructions* (created a bootable USB); however it's been failing. Specifically, after erasing the "Macintosh HD" it tried to install Sierra from the bootable USB disk"

You're not being clear here.
Are you trying to install High Sierra, or are you trying to install (Low) Sierra?

When you erase the drive using Disk Utility, are you trying to erase the WHOLE drive, or just the pre-existing partition?

Check DU's menus for a selection (I think is) named "Show all drives".

I don't think the problem is the drive itself.
I wouldn't bother replacing it.

procrit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
"I tried to perform a clean install of MacOS High Sierra on my 2011 iMac 27" (EMC2429) using these instructions* (created a bootable USB); however it's been failing. Specifically, after erasing the "Macintosh HD" it tried to install Sierra from the bootable USB disk"

You're not being clear here.
Are you trying to install High Sierra, or are you trying to install (Low) Sierra?

When you erase the drive using Disk Utility, are you trying to erase the WHOLE drive, or just the pre-existing partition?

Check DU's menus for a selection (I think is) named "Show all drives".

I don't think the problem is the drive itself.
I wouldn't bother replacing it.

Thanks @Fishrrman for the note. To clarify, I was hoping to just upgrade to High Sierra, but given the snag I decided to try (Low) Sierra. I tried to lookup DU for the selection "Show all drives" but I don't seem to able to find it.

I also don't think it's the drive itself and will not replace it since I tried to backup using my MB Air's copy of TimeMachine and it actually was able to load, but it was stuck at the spin wheel of death at the login page when I booted.

At this point should I proceed to wipe the ENTIRE drive or just the pre-existing partition? I just want to perform a clean install so that the iMac will run "like new." Thanks again!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If you have a bootable USB flashdrive with Low Sierra on it, do this:
- boot from the flash drive
- DON'T install yet, instead...
- open Disk Utility and ERASE THE ENTIRE DRIVE. NUKE IT.
- you want to go back to HFS+ with journaling enabled.
- once re-initialized, go back to the installer and try again.

procrit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
If you have a bootable USB flashdrive with Low Sierra on it, do this:
- boot from the flash drive
- DON'T install yet, instead...
- open Disk Utility and ERASE THE ENTIRE DRIVE. NUKE IT.
- you want to go back to HFS+ with journaling enabled.
- once re-initialized, go back to the installer and try again.
Thanks @Fishrrman. I followed your instructions and there was certainly progress! Once I erased the entire drive and went with HFS+ w/ journaling, I reinstalled LS but it took quite a while so I just let it run overnight. When I woke up this morning it was stuck on this screen so I rebooted iMac but it is still stuck on the "loading" screen (see image).

I tried rebooting the iMac again and it's still stuck on the loading screen.

Any thoughts on what I should do next? Much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_5555.JPG
    IMG_5555.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 444

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You might repeat the process, but this time:
1. Erase the drive with Disk Utility, but before going to the installer...
2. Run Disk Utility's "Repair Disk" function on the drive and see what results you get.
3. If you get "a good report", repeat the test 2 or 3 more times.
4. You want a good report every time.

The idea is to verify that the internal drive is still good.
Other than that, it could be something like firmware, etc...?

procrit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
@Fishrrman thanks for the note. I finally got to the issue and realized that the EFI partition is missing, perhaps from the original format event where I tried to erase the WHOLE drive. Any thoughts on how I can restore and reinstall? Should I create a new partition and install the Low Sierra in the new partition? Or just re-wipe the drive in full and reinstall Low Sierra? Thanks agin!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My advice (and my opinion only):
- Forget High Sierra. Stick with Low Sierra for the life a 2011 iMac.
- Erase the drive -- the ENTIRE drive. NUKE IT BACK to "Mac OS extended with journaling enabled) (HFS+)
- Do a clean re-install of Low Sierra on it.
- Be happy.

procrit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Thanks so much @Fishrrman!

I ran disk utility again and nuked the entire drive (didn't setup a partition at all) and reinstalled Low Sierra. This time around:

1) it took way too long to install Low Sierra via USB method (left it overnight to run)
2) the new install of Low Sierra now is funky since when I try to boot up the iMac, it just shows that it's stuck on the progress bar loading upon bootup and I cannot access the iMac at all.

Any thoughts on why the above is happening?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Your troubles make me wonder if you have a hardware problem with the internal hard drive itself (as distinguished from being a "software problem").

Something you could try:
You will need an EXTERNAL drive. Even a USB flashdrive would do (must be 16gb or larger).
Then...
- boot from the USB flashdrive with the OS installer on it.
- Erase the external drive to Mac OS extended with journaling enabled
- Open the installer and see if you can "aim it" at the external drive
- Try to install the OS that way
- See if it installs, then boots, then runs.

IF you can get "a good install" and "a good boot" from the external, then we'll go from there.

Reactions: procrit

procrit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
@Fishrrman I am going to swap the HDD with an SSD perhaps this weekend, just to start with a clean slate. Thanks so much for your advice and your time! Much appreciated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.