Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

webguy262

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009
I have a iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010) with Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4670. Are there still issues with this chipset and Sonoma? If so, what if anything can I do to resolve the issue(s). Thanks!

howardc64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
I have a iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010) with Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4670. Are there still issues with this chipset and Sonoma? If so, what if anything can I do to resolve the issue(s). Thanks!

Best results on non-metal GPUs is probably OCLP Big Sur + transparency tweaks

TerrorUniverso

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2022
Testing a successful installation of Sonoma from external SSD with OCLP 1.4.1. on my iMac 11,3 with AMD Polaris Rx480 and BT 4.0 mod. Better than I expected!
I am always impressed by the hard work of the OCLP developers, contributors and community. Thank you!
You just humiliated my 2015 iMac retina lol (with the same setting as you did just for the fun)

Attachments

• Captura de ecrã 2024-04-26, às 00.28.55.png
    Captura de ecrã 2024-04-26, às 00.28.55.png
    196.2 KB · Views: 40

abds69

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2023
hello to all, can't find any information on how to tweak NVIDIA PC Vbios to modify connectors for making eDP works on an imac 2011.
My background is , imac 2011 with swapped GPU for an M3000M , no correct bios released, M3000M is coming from a Dell PC. Managed to add in VBIOS a EFI part for boot screen, but ....in High Sierra , internal screen never activate , though on an external screen everything is correct, web drivers & acceleration(lilu & whatevergreen used, OCLP)....frustrating. Found some informations for ATI card but not NVIDIA, to tweak DP output for an eDP. If too complicated, can someone explain how to modify by injection ? NVCAP, connector-type, av-type,....lost
A M4000M Vbios exists, with internal screen activated, please explain process if you know, i'm looking forward to !!

byMaker

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2023
Hello,

I need your help

I want to upgrade my iMac 2011 (21 inch) to mac os "big sur" with "hight siera". I replaced the video card with an "nvidia quadro k2100m", expanded the RAM to 32Gb, installed an i7-2600s, and installed an SSD.

I wanted to know what OCLP settings I should set?
At the moment I set the presets for "iMac 12.1" (in OCLP itself) + in the Advanced tab, in the Graphics item I set "Graphics Override" - "Nvidia kepler"; I check the box "Nvidia GOP Injection" (attached screenshots).
Please tell me, am I doing everything right or should I activate something else (in MacOS big sur)?

Will I need to install anything else besides OCLP to optimize the performance of the video card (I mean, some drivers or utilities from the Nvidia website)?

Also, I would like to clarify whether Wi-Fi and Bluetooth will work for me? Since I did not update them (the physical modules remained op)

Well, the last question is, can I force Blender 3D to use my video card for rendering?

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2024-04-29 в 22.10.41.png
    Снимок экрана 2024-04-29 в 22.10.41.png
    128.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Снимок экрана 2024-04-29 в 22.10.46.png
    Снимок экрана 2024-04-29 в 22.10.46.png
    131.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Снимок экрана 2024-04-29 в 22.10.56.png
    Снимок экрана 2024-04-29 в 22.10.56.png
    120.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Снимок экрана 2024-04-29 в 22.11.09.png
    Снимок экрана 2024-04-29 в 22.11.09.png
    133.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Снимок экрана 2024-04-29 в 22.11.39.png
    Снимок экрана 2024-04-29 в 22.11.39.png
    139.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Снимок экрана 2024-04-29 в 22.11.17.png
    Снимок экрана 2024-04-29 в 22.11.17.png
    119 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

DickDiver

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2023
Hello everyone.

I have an issue with an iMac 11,1 running "Big Sur", Opencore and upgraded graphics card to a 1GB 6970m. The graphics card died a couple of weeks ago, so I bought a FirePro 6100M to replace it. The problem is that the iMac boots up, but doesn't display the top bar, and the graphics card is recognized as an AMD Radeon R9 M380 with only 14Mb. I've correctly reset the PRAM, but everything remains the same. What parameters should I change in Opencore to have my graphics card recognized correctly? I understood that the 6100M didn't need any special configurations to be recognized, but English isn't my native language, so I might have misunderstood.

internetzel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Hello everyone.

I have an issue with an iMac 11,1 running "Big Sur", Opencore and upgraded graphics card to a 1GB 6970m. The graphics card died a couple of weeks ago, so I bought a FirePro 6100M to replace it. The problem is that the iMac boots up, but doesn't display the top bar, and the graphics card is recognized as an AMD Radeon R9 M380 with only 14Mb. I've correctly reset the PRAM, but everything remains the same. What parameters should I change in Opencore to have my graphics card recognized correctly? I understood that the 6100M didn't need any special configurations to be recognized, but English isn't my native language, so I might have misunderstood.
In case you installed OCLP root patches for running the 6970 with Big Sur you'll need to revert the root patches first, then install root patches again (the correct root patches for your changed hardware).
You should also build and install OpenCore again, so everything is potentially set up correctly for your new graphics hardware.
That might not be everything you need to do, but those steps are essential.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hello everyone.

I suppose you bought the Firepro M6100 with modified vBIOS, correct?
I also bought the FirePro M6100 to use on my iMac 11,1. Got some issues until I found the correct vBIOS to flash.
I also installed Monterrey to a blank disk (create Monterey USB installer, then run OCLP to patch the EFI volume), so no issued with the FirePro. Monterrey recognized the GPU correctly as AMD FirePro M6100.
Sorry for the Vietnamese in the picture.

Attachments

• Ảnh chụp Màn hình 2024-05-05 lúc 10.46.45.png
    Ảnh chụp Màn hình 2024-05-05 lúc 10.46.45.png
    85.6 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: DickDiver

DickDiver

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2023
I suppose you bought the Firepro M6100 with modified vBIOS, correct?
Indeed, I purchased the card with the modified vBIOS (015.049.000.003.000000). Since I wasn't able to satisfactorily revert the OCLP patches, I decided to perform a "clean" installation of Big Sur. I created a USB with OCLP and a Big Sur installation, removed the old one

The installer allowed me, unusually slowly, to erase the SSD where I had Big Sur installed, but when it came to the installation, it seems like it doesn't start. I've tried it with two different USB drives and got the same response. I think I'm going to try installing Monterey to see what happens.

If I need to update the vBios, can it be done from a Mac or do I have to do it from a Windows system?

Thank you both very much for your help!

Last edited:

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Indeed, I purchased the card with the modified vBIOS (015.049.000.003.000000). Since I wasn't able to satisfactorily revert the OCLP patches, I decided to perform a "clean" installation of Big Sur. I created a USB with OCLP and a Big Sur installation, removed the old one

The installer allowed me, unusually slowly, to erase the SSD where I had Big Sur installed, but when it came to the installation, it seems like it doesn't start. I've tried it with two different USB drives and got the same response. I think I'm going to try installing Monterey to see what happens.

If I need to update the vBios, can it be done from a Mac or do I have to do it from a Windows system?

Thank you both very much for your help!

I got several failed attempts with total failure and black screen, had to power off the machine a dozen times, until I got back here and received direction to get the proper vBIOS. Your preflashed vBIOS might not be a good one, unless it acts like a native Apple card, with boot screen etc.

After getting the proper vBIOS, the installation went smoothly thanks to the boot screen, but it still took me a whole night for the iMac to set-up (it seemed to stuck at the last minute forever, so I went to sleep, leaving the iMac to work out itself)

You need both your iMac and another computer (I used my Windows PC) to flash.
Check the first post to get the link about how to flash, or search the post about GRML USB (a small Linux USB to plug in your iMac and boot from there)
Boot the iMac from the GRML Linux USB + wire LAN to your router.
Wait until it is online (IP address visible on the router management page, the imac will be named "grml"), probably 3-5min.
SSH from the Windows PC to the iMac and proceed with the PCIe check, then flash command (just follow the guideline in the post that come with the link to get the GRML files)

vBIOS from the courtesy of @Ausdauersportler in the link below: My card was a Dell Red one, I picked the file with name "M6100-General-Enable.gop.rom.zip".

Reactions: DickDiver

internetzel

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
You need both your iMac and another computer (I used my Windows PC) to flash.
Check the first post to get the link about how to flash, or search the post about GRML USB (a small Linux USB to plug in your iMac and boot from there)
Boot the iMac from the GRML Linux USB + wire LAN to your router.
Wait until it is online (IP address visible on the router management page, the imac will be named "grml"), probably 3-5min.
SSH from the Windows PC to the iMac and proceed with the PCIe check, then flash command (just follow the guideline in the post that come with the link to get the GRML files)
I have also used my Android phone for logging in via SSH, by using a free terminal app. Somewhat more difficult to type the commands but it works!

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

countryhick

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2024
Brisbane, Australia
Gday guys, I'm new here and just wanted to say thanks to all the guys who have provided and keep providing this awesome information and support... It's been been a deep dive after recently having my GPU play up in my 2011 imac, (I gave it a bake and it's back up for the moment...) but I'm about to pull the trigger on on a WX4130 as it's replacement.
I would especially would like to thank

howardc64

for the work and time he's put into his very helpful newbie site https://sites.google.com/view/imac-metal-gpu/home
and his on going testing, reporting and support.

Cheers
Andrew

ssamos10

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2024
Greetings! First and foremost, I am sure there is some indirect solution to my problem, but I have spent way to many hours as a novice user trying to find info. I’m giving up soon…

So I bought a WX4130 off eBay for a customer which has a 21.5” 2011 iMac 12,1. I did EVERYTHING right (according to the various posts and guides), but nothing worked. I installed OCLP on the usb, did the AMD GOP Injection and GPU Override, installed the vBIOS using GRML, EVERYTHING, but no dice. I am lost, any help is immensely appreciated.

If needed, I can provide images of my GPU, system, whatever.
Thanks in advance for all the help.

ssamos10

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2024
I bought a wx4130 and flashed with grml via ssh with EG.rom, runs perfectly with Catalina and Ventura (OCLP). My plan was originally to install the card in an IMac 11.2, but I bought an IMac 12.1 cheaply and installed it there. Thank to #interschnitzel for help!
Hey! Glad your setup is working! Seems cool….

Quick question: By any chance could you help me and tell me step by step in what exact order and what resources you used for your mac? I spend around $90 on the card and it isn’t working. I’m about to throw the towel… thanks!

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Greetings! First and foremost, I am sure there is some indirect solution to my problem, but I have spent way to many hours as a novice user trying to find info. I’m giving up soon…

So I bought a WX4130 off eBay for a customer which has a 21.5” 2011 iMac 12,1. I did EVERYTHING right (according to the various posts and guides), but nothing worked. I installed OCLP on the usb, did the AMD GOP Injection and GPU Override, installed the vBIOS using GRML, EVERYTHING, but no dice. I am lost, any help is immensely appreciated.

If needed, I can provide images of my GPU, system, whatever.
Thanks in advance for all the help.

You could flash the EG_enable vBIOS to the card using GRML. This means:
1. Your iMac (exclude the WX4130) is working fine. (booted to GRML Linux)
2. Your iMac recognized the WX4130. (so you could flash the vBIOS)
3. The issue left to question, is whether you cooked your vBIOS properly or not.
Please elaborate more on the situation that you described as "no dice"...

I suggest you try this:
1. Prepare a Mac OS SSD like Monterey. (install Mac OS on a blank SSD on another Mac)
2. On that Mac, run OCLP and customize it to iMac 12,1, AMD Polaris GPU; then overwrite the EFI to the Monterey SSD
3. Transplant the SSD to your iMac 12,1
4. Describe the situation after step 3 above.

ssamos10

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2024
You could flash the EG_enable vBIOS to the card using GRML. This means:
1. Your iMac (exclude the WX4130) is working fine. (booted to GRML Linux)
2. Your iMac recognized the WX4130. (so you could flash the vBIOS)
3. The issue left to question, is whether you cooked your vBIOS properly or not.
Please elaborate more on the situation that you described as "no dice"...

I suggest you try this:
1. Prepare a Mac OS SSD like Monterey. (install Mac OS on a blank SSD on another Mac)
2. On that Mac, run OCLP and customize it to iMac 12,1, AMD Polaris GPU; then overwrite the EFI to the Monterey SSD
3. Transplant the SSD to your iMac 12,1
4. Describe the situation after step 3 above.
Thanks for the response btw! Really appreciate it!

I did flash many vBIOSES, although idk if it’s possible that I bricked it?

I also can’t install macOS to an SSD in the machine since I have only an M2 Pro Mac Mini apart from this old iMac, of course, due to it being an apple silicon Mac I can’t just pluck an ssd in and install macOS. Is there any other way I can install macOS?

Also, I have no idea what “cooked vBIOS“ makes reference to… Sorry for the confusion 😢

The situation described as “no dice” is basically the iMac making the glorious boot chime, and remaining black. I have no adapters to test using an external monitor or TV unfortunately, and trying to install the vBIOS through SSH seemed unsuccessful… Thanks for your help!

ssamos10

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2024
Since all the info/guides about doing this process is scattered around for numerous iMac models, GPUs, etc., it’s quite tough for me to couple it up and make a user friendly guide to execute this process. If only there was a specific document for *exactly* the 2011 21.5” iMac 12,1 with a WX4130 GPU…

howardc64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Since all the info/guides about doing this process is scattered around for numerous iMac models, GPUs, etc., it’s quite tough for me to couple it up and make a user friendly guide to execute this process. If only there was a specific document for *exactly* the 2011 21.5” iMac 12,1 with a WX4130 GPU…

I made a fairly complete and recent guide for 12,2 with WX4130 (and 2009/2010 27" and a 2011) Should be identical for 12,1 + WX4130. See my signature link under tab 12,x for link to the guide.

I'm assuming you used WX41x0 iMac GOP VBIOS from post #15868? Do you remember if GRML flashed successfully by reading flash again and compare with this file?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Also, I have no idea what “cooked vBIOS“ makes reference to… Sorry for the confusion 😢

The situation described as “no dice” is basically the iMac making the glorious boot chime, and remaining black. I have no adapters to test using an external monitor or TV unfortunately, and trying to install the vBIOS through SSH seemed unsuccessful… Thanks for your help!

Some people like to add GOP part to the original vBIOS of their own graphic card themselves, thus I refer to those vBIOS as self-cooked vBIOS.
The majority (of which I'm one) just use the modified vBIOS provided by the experts in this thread.

To ensure that you chose the correct vBIOS for your card, follow the guide provided by howard64 above.

To verify that you don't have a hardware issue with your LCD Panel, install back the stock Apple Card (HD6750 or 6770m) and stock Mac OS High Sierra. (skip this step if you are sure about your iMac)

Reactions: ssamos10

ZGocZ

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2022
Anyone tried the MXM version of the RX 6600 yet in an iMac? I guess it should work on Big Sur or Monterey?
I'm trying to acquire one to put into 12.2. I currently have RX5500XT 8 GB in there and it works OK with a backlight mod. My guess is that the RX6600 would fit the same way but I'm a bit worried about the max power values. RX6600 has 135W and RX6600XT has 160W total board power. Those sound a bit too much for the iMac to handle but would probably work if performance was capped in software.
If I manage to acquire the card I'll post the complete experience here... :)

ssamos10

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2024
I made a fairly complete and recent guide for 12,2 with WX4130 (and 2009/2010 27" and a 2011) Should be identical for 12,1 + WX4130. See my signature link under tab 12,x for link to the guide.

I'm assuming you used WX41x0 iMac GOP VBIOS from post #15868? Do you remember if GRML flashed successfully by reading flash again and compare with this file?
I did use both of the ROMs in the zip file. I also tried the EG and EG2 ones that were in this GitHub link. https://github.com/Ausdauersportler/IMAC-EFI-BOOT-SCREEN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.