Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
I picked up one of the last 7th generation iPod Touch this week and after setting it up my 2011 21.5 iMac (running High Sierra) won’t recognize the iPod either on my desktop or in iTunes.

The iPod Touch has iOS 15.5 so possibly it isn’t compatible with High Sierra?

Any insights?

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
On my Big Sur machine I regularly get „Device Support Update“ notifications when connecting a recent iOS device. After installing them, syncing with iTunes is working again (I used Retroactive to install iTunes).
Are you connected to the internet and have installed all updates?
You could try manually triggering the MobileDeviceUpdater (in High Sierra) according to:
Assuming a suitable version of iTunes is in place then in Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.
iOS 15 and High Sierra should work according to:

Last edited:
Reactions: Warped9

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
On my Big Sur machine I regularly get „Device Support Update“ notifications when connecting a recent iOS device. After installing them, syncing with iTunes is working again (I used Retroactive to install iTunes).
You could try manually triggering the MobileDeviceUpdater (in High Sierra) according to:

Awesome. I’ll give this a try this evening after work.

ish4d0w

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2021
Hungary
It should work. Try updating iTunes.

If all else fails, install Windows (either via Boot Camp or VMWare Fusion 8.5.10 (last version for High Sierra and these CPUs), or if you want a free solution, then Virtualbox) and then you can get the latest iTunes version there.

Remember this is not only iTunes but the support payload, most specifically drivers and apple mobile device support tools that are needed, and on Windows these go hand in hand, on Mac OS it is usually up to date and gets updated with system but if you are on a legacy/nonsupported OS then after a few years, Apple leaves you behind in this regard. This may be happening for High Sierra, or might be happening in the coming years as new iOS devices are released.

But these machines are perfectly capable of running Windows, which, in turn, can have up to date itunes software. Ironical how you might have to install Windows to get an Apple device to communicate with another Apple device but this is what will definitely fix this. Intercompatibility and standardization at it best. :) good luck

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
I am not going to install Windows on my 2011 iMac. If I can’t get this iPod communicating I’ll just return it and keep using my old iPhone 4 as a glorified iPod Touch. I just would have liked the larger screen and lighter weight of the 7th GEN iPod Touch.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.

Awesome--this worked!

As soon as I opened iTunes my iPod Touch was visible and I could immediately sync and add music to it.

Many thanks!

Reactions: arw
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.