Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GraphikGeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Florida
Hey all!

My mac has been a rockstar since I’ve owned it! A couple days ago it was working fine, I left to go make dinner, came back and it was in a reboot loop. It would display the apple logo, start the progress bar, load 1/2-3/4 of the way, flash to a grey screen, and reboot. Once I saw it do this a couple times, I did a hard shut down, and I haven’t been able to get it to startup since.. Any help would be amazing! I dont want to retire this macbook. Here’s what i’ve done so far:
1) tried Safe boot (holding shift) - just does the same loop
2) tried recovery mode (holding command+R) NOTHING
3) tried internet recovery mode
4) tried booting from original install disc (and bought new snow leopard install disc because mine was scratched up)
- every time it just loads for awhile then boots to a blue screen
5) tried making a boot disc USB and booting from that
6) tried disk repair via USB dock connected to another mac
7) tried single-user disk repair command
8) tried resetting PRAM/SMC

I think that is all.. I’ve done the diagnostics and nothing is popping up. I already had apple replace hard drive, battery, and logic board back in 2016 when the GPU took a dump, and I’ve recently replaced the hard drive about a year ago. Worried it is the GPU again, but it isn’t behaving the same as it did when the GPU went out last time. If ANYONE has any suggestions/ideas, I’d be more than happy to listen and try them. Thank you!

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
The bad news is that it is probably the dGPU failing again. the replacement board that Apple put in has the same flaw as your original logic board. Since it has the same design flaw it was only a matter of time until there is another failure.

There are some threads in the MBP forum that discuss possible workarounds like configuring to use only the iGPU which will also come with some new limitations.

Reactions: Brian33

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Try booting "single user mode" by holding Command-S during boot. It should put you into a command line environment -- no graphical interface is loaded. If that works (i.e., you get a simple command prompt), I would highly suspect that your GPU has failed again. In this mode you can enter the NVRAM command and move the appropriate kext to force the machine to use the integrated graphics only.

I'm assuming you have the same machine I have -- MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011). (I think there was also a later 2011, which might be different.)

To shutdown cleanly, enter the command:
shutdown -h now

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Try booting "single user mode" by holding Command-S during boot. It should put you into a command line environment -- no graphical interface is loaded. If that works (i.e., you get a simple command prompt), I would highly suspect that your GPU has failed again. In this mode you can enter the NVRAM command and move the appropriate kext to force the machine to use the integrated graphics only.

I'm assuming you have the same machine I have -- MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011). (I think there was also a later 2011, which might be different.)

To shutdown cleanly, enter the command:
shutdown -h now
Brian 33...I have the same (as you ) collecting dust. Per your advice...do you have as simple a method as it sounds 'move the appropriate kext to force the machine to use the integrated graphics only.' or is it as involved as discussed on these forums? I only as because I've tried the forum instructions (few years ago ) but never got them to work.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
simple solution - get a 2012 or 2015 - no issues with these. I had a 2011 and though I never ever had a graphics chip problem, I decided to go with a 2012 and also have a 2015. I am not using the 2012 currently and its in great condition, just needs new memory, as when i TRIED to install Catalina or anything higher than Mavericks, it would not install - it is due to bad memory. But, it does work.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You've got RadeonGate (again).

Unless you want to pursue the workaround of disabling the discrete GPU and running ONLY with the integrated graphics (there's a sticky thread on how to do that here), it's time to start looking for a replacement.

If it was me, I'd try disabling the discrete GPU, and living with it that way until the new 16 m-series MacBook Pro is introduced a little later this year (looks like 3rd quarter)...

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Brian 33...I have the same (as you ) collecting dust. Per your advice...do you have as simple a method as it sounds 'move the appropriate kext to force the machine to use the integrated graphics only.' or is it as involved as discussed on these forums? I only as because I've tried the forum instructions (few years ago ) but never got them to work.
My machine has only needeed a specific NVRAM variable set, and to have one kernel extension moved. I think people have had different results, but I don't know why. Mine has always booted OK in single-user mode, and that made it easier. I've been running with forced integrated graphics for over two years now, I think first on Sierra and now on High Sierra (fully updated).

If your machine boots to single-user mode OK, it might work for you (no guarantees!). Two or three years ago when I set this up perhaps I had to do something else, but I don't think so. Early on I used login and logout "hooks" to try to solve my lid-closing problem (see below), but I haven't needed them for a long time now. I think one of macOS or security updates solved that issue for me.

(1) Boot into single-user mode (hold down shift). If you have Filevault enabled, it should allow you to pick a user account and enter the password. Ultimately you should get a black screen with a command prompt. Hitting Enter just repeats the prompt. You are logged in as the root user which can access all files, so don't go deleting stuff unless you know what you're doing!

(2) Set an NVRAM variable related to the GPU. Enter this exactly: nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00

(3) Set "verbose" boot mode (this is probably optional): nvram boot-args="-v"

(4) Move a specific kernel extension (kext) out of /System/Library/Extensions. I move it to my user account's home directory, for example, so change "brian" to your account name: mv /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000.kext ~brian/AMDRadeonX3000.kext

(5) Shutdown: shutdown -h now

(6) Cross your fingers and boot normally

Issues:

Power is still supplied to the discrete GPU, so the battery gets depleted more quickly than it should. I usually keep mine connected to the power supply, though it will still last around 45 minutes on battery.

I've had to repeat step (4) each time I installed a macOS update or security update.

For quite awhile closing the lid to put macOS to sleep would cause a problem (hang or freeze, maybe?). However, that problem has gone away, probably after some macOS update.

Some people have had fan and brightness control problems, but mine work normally!

Reactions: Blowback

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
My machine has only needeed a specific NVRAM variable set, and to have one kernel extension moved. I think people have had different results, but I don't know why. Mine has always booted OK in single-user mode, and that made it easier. I've been running with forced integrated graphics for over two years now, I think first on Sierra and now on High Sierra (fully updated).

If your machine boots to single-user mode OK, it might work for you (no guarantees!). Two or three years ago when I set this up perhaps I had to do something else, but I don't think so. Early on I used login and logout "hooks" to try to solve my lid-closing problem (see below), but I haven't needed them for a long time now. I think one of macOS or security updates solved that issue for me.

(1) Boot into single-user mode (hold down shift). If you have Filevault enabled, it should allow you to pick a user account and enter the password. Ultimately you should get a black screen with a command prompt. Hitting Enter just repeats the prompt. You are logged in as the root user which can access all files, so don't go deleting stuff unless you know what you're doing!

(2) Set an NVRAM variable related to the GPU. Enter this exactly: nvram fa4ce28d-b62f-4c99-9cc3-6815686e30f9:gpu-power-prefs=%01%00%00%00

(3) Set "verbose" boot mode (this is probably optional): nvram boot-args="-v"

(4) Move a specific kernel extension (kext) out of /System/Library/Extensions. I move it to my user account's home directory, for example, so change "brian" to your account name: mv /System/Library/Extensions/AMDRadeonX3000.kext ~brian/AMDRadeonX3000.kext

(5) Shutdown: shutdown -h now

(6) Cross your fingers and boot normally

Issues:

Power is still supplied to the discrete GPU, so the battery gets depleted more quickly than it should. I usually keep mine connected to the power supply, though it will still last around 45 minutes on battery.

I've had to repeat step (4) each time I installed a macOS update or security update.

For quite awhile closing the lid to put macOS to sleep would cause a problem (hang or freeze, maybe?). However, that problem has gone away, probably after some macOS update.

Some people have had fan and brightness control problems, but mine work normally!
Hey Brian33, thanks very much for the reply! Nothing can be lost for me as I've long since purchased a 2017 MBP (using now) which has been fine. When I get a chance Ill try your method (looks very similar to something I may have already tried but that was years ago; can't remember exactly). Again, thanks and I'll give it ago....if I get it to work I'll give it to one of my nieces for a typing tutor/ game machine! Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.