Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mets3214

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Hey everyone, so a little backstory on the laptop before I explain the problem. A couple of months ago, I took it to Micro Center to get it fixed. They concluded that the logic board had to be replaced and maybe the top case. The repair was almost $1,000 so I just bought a new laptop. It has been collecting dust in my closet since but recently I decided to try to fix it again.

I took out the SSD before I put it away, so I put an empty hard-drive in to install OSX with the Install disk. The laptop turned on after a simple SMC reset to my surprise. I decide to try to install OSX but the laptop just turns off within 2 minutes. It won't power on after that and the only way to turn it back on is by doing another SMC reset which results in it turning off again after 2 minutes.

I presume that the laptop shuts off for safety because of heat, could it be that the fans aren't working or that I need to apply some thermal paste to the CPU/GPU? What do you guys think could be the problem?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Wow, I didn't know about this. It's a 15 inch MBP. Will they still fix it if I opened it and took out the hard drive?
- Yes. This extended warranty can't be voided by any sort of modifications.
As an example, when I brought mine in for the same repair, it had different RAM, no hard drive or SSD (I took it out beforehand), as well as an upgraded AirPort card. They didn't blink.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.