Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cryptohk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
Hi Guys,
I have been doing some research on my Early 2011 MBP 15" and found a lot of people saying a dual SSD setup is not going to work due to the optical bay sata connector.
My MBP is made during the second half of the year and have a 6G sata connection in the optical bay.
I wanted to ask if this will allow me to use a dual ssd set up, or am I limited to just a ssd + hdd set up?
Thank you so much!!

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I'm not sure I follow that logic.

The ODD is the same SATA bus speed as the main HDD bay.

A 15" 2012 is still my main computer, and while it does have some differences at least in this respect it's the same. For a long time, I ran a 1tb Evo 850 in the HDD bay. Probably a year ago, I needed more space and opted for a 2tb spinner(I didn't have the money at the time for a 2tb SSD). I'd have actually put a larger spinner in it, but IIRC at least at the time anything larger than 2tb was too thick. I ended up shuffling the SSD to the optical bay and putting the spinner in the main HDD bay-the reason I did it that way is because the SMS only works for the main bay.

In any case, I see zero performance difference between the SSD in the main bay vs. in the optical bay. I have benchmarks from both locations to back me up.

Even though I didn't do EXACTLY what you're asking about, my computer could easily take a second SSD in place of the spinner. By the time I'm ready to do it, I'll be looking at another MBP instead, but it's certainly possible.

Reactions: cryptohk

cryptohk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
I'm not sure I follow that logic.

The ODD is the same SATA bus speed as the main HDD bay.

A 15" 2012 is still my main computer, and while it does have some differences at least in this respect it's the same. For a long time, I ran a 1tb Evo 850 in the HDD bay. Probably a year ago, I needed more space and opted for a 2tb spinner(I didn't have the money at the time for a 2tb SSD). I'd have actually put a larger spinner in it, but IIRC at least at the time anything larger than 2tb was too thick. I ended up shuffling the SSD to the optical bay and putting the spinner in the main HDD bay-the reason I did it that way is because the SMS only works for the main bay.

In any case, I see zero performance difference between the SSD in the main bay vs. in the optical bay. I have benchmarks from both locations to back me up.

Even though I didn't do EXACTLY what you're asking about, my computer could easily take a second SSD in place of the spinner. By the time I'm ready to do it, I'll be looking at another MBP instead, but it's certainly possible.
I understand that I can easily plug in a second ssd into the odd. My concern stems from online posts that say it is unreliable to do a dual ssd setup.
Here is one of the post that mentioned about it.
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ve-ssd-hdd-ssd-ssd-setup-suggestions.1278494/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.