Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grob6000

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2012
I have a Sandisk 8GB Ultra (30MB/s) SDHCi card, which is happily recognised by OSX by the built-in reader in 2011 Macbook Pro.
However, when booting Windows 7 using Bootcamp on the same machine, with the same card, the card would not appear.
By not appear, I mean neither (a) in windows explorer or (b) in disk management.
I solved this problem by:
  • Going to Device Manager, finding the Broadcom SD Host Adapter item, right clicking and selecting "Uninstall" and "Delete Driver".
  • I then went back to Device Manager, and selected "Scan for Hardware Changes", at which point the SD card reader was found and a generic driver installed.
  • Now Win7 happily works with this SD card.
I believe this indicates something is wrong with the Apple bootcamp driver for the SD card reader in this particular machine, however the fix is easy.
I'm making this post as I found very little (usually vague) information on the web about this specific problem, and felt this may be of use to others experiencing similar issues.

Jshaw6000

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
Thank you for this. I had the same problem with my late 2011 Macbook Pro 15" and following your steps fixed my problem. I still can't believe there isn't very much information online about this issue. And it's not the only driver from Apple that is either outdated or shotty in Bootcamp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.