Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cryptohk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
Hi yall, I recently upgraded my early 2011 MBP with the OWC NUPower battery, OWC 2x8 gbs Ram and a WD 250gb ssd. I installed the OSX Lion onto the ssd and updated it to OSX El Capitan.
The computer runs a lot faster and smoother than before, but the only problem I am encountering is a crash that freezes everything up along with a 3 beeps and around 5 second stop and repeat. Sometimes the beeps is super loud, sometime is just normal sound level. The crash usually happens when watching video or even if the computer is just idling. This is super annoying and I cannot find a solution to it.
I have tried "command,option,R and P", it doesn't seems to help. Also, I could not get into safe mode by holding shift and holding D does get me into apple hardware page.

Is there anyone out there or know someone that has had this situation happen to them and found a solution?
Would this simply be my motherboard being dusty or some other serious problem?

It will be greatly appreciated if you can help me out.

Thank you

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Try removing the new ram and put in the old ram. If memory serves me, 3 beeps means a memory error.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you did not keep the old RAM, you COULD try running with only one stick installed. 8GB instead of 16GB, booted to an SSD, shouldn't be very noticeable, particularly for troubleshooting. Be sure to try your videos, and whatever else you might think would trigger the crash. Use one stick for a couple of days to give plenty of time for a crash, then swap out to the other stick. Do the same kind of tests.

cryptohk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
If you did not keep the old RAM, you COULD try running with only one stick installed. 8GB instead of 16GB, booted to an SSD, shouldn't be very noticeable, particularly for troubleshooting. Be sure to try your videos, and whatever else you might think would trigger the crash. Use one stick for a couple of days to give plenty of time for a crash, then swap out to the other stick. Do the same kind of tests.
Hey man, thanks for the advice. I tried your method and found that only one of the ram stick is causing the beeping issue.
I am going to be running on 1 stick for now.
I will be contacting OWC and see what they can do for me.
Much appreciated!

Reactions: DeltaMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.