Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mightymacman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
San Luis Obispo, CA
Hello, I just created an account here because I've just encountered this issue with my late 2011 15" MBP. I wasn't even aware this was a widespread issue until now - I bought the laptop refurbished in 2012 and have had many years of service from this faithful laptop. I upgraded the RAM (16gb Crucial) and just switched to a SDD this past year and this old thing still outperforms most other laptops I've encountered.

@mightymacman - I'm interested in your workaround, though I've used another to get the computer (mostly) usable for now. I found a youtube video that explained how to disable graphics-related extensions by moving them into a new directory from the Command-R boot menu

It worked! I'm posting this from the "sick" computer... but the graphics performance is notably poor, sluggish and choppy. Does your workaround include these side effects?
Since my laptop is mostly usable, I could download and try this program out, but no sense if the results will be the same.

I do not wish to buy a new computer. I have recording interfaces that use the now outdated firewire. Other than the GPU issue, this laptop should live quite a while longer!

Thanks
[doublepost=1566598908][/doublepost]
MMM:
I don't have access to a working 2011 MBP but do have my 2017 MBP. For step 00 through 07 would it be possible to use the 2017 MBP and get proper results ?

Yes.

Re-read the material above. If you can extract the HD/SSD from your MBP, and connect it to your 2017 MBP via USB to SATA wire connector (or other 2.5" device), then you can put the gfxCardStatus (version 2.1) into the Applications Folder of that drive. Put the drive back into the MBP, boot with the shift key held down -safemode- and configure the app per the directions above, reboot normally again, and you should be good to go.

mightymacman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
San Luis Obispo, CA
"teachmetosurf said:

Hello, I just created an account here because I've just encountered this issue with my late 2011 15" MBP. I wasn't even aware this was a widespread issue until now - I bought the laptop refurbished in 2012 and have had many years of service from this faithful laptop. I upgraded the RAM (16gb Crucial) and just switched to a SDD this past year and this old thing still outperforms most other laptops I've encountered.

@mightymacman - I'm interested in your workaround, though I've used another to get the computer (mostly) usable for now. I found a you tube video that explained how to disable graphics-related extensions by moving them into a new directory from the Command-R boot menu

It worked! I'm posting this from the "sick" computer... but the graphics performance is notably poor, sluggish and choppy. Does your workaround include these side effects? Since my laptop is mostly usable, I could download and try this program out, but no sense if the results will be the same.

I do not wish to buy a new computer. I have recording interfaces that use the now outdated firewire. Other than the GPU issue, this laptop should live quite a while longer!

Thanks"

teachmetosurf

The solution you used is a good one if one is not "afraid to work in the terminal with command lines." The solution I've offered above bypasses needing to use the "terminal" mode. It takes longer to actually read the instructions and the their explainations, than to actually "do the job".

As I have stated I have no issues using my MBP with the fix I suggest above. It's screen responsiveness appears to be normal for what I use it for. No hick ups etc. I don’t do games, nor “high end” graphics or video. Final Cut Pro 4.x seems to work just fine, as does it’s less powerful cousin iMovie.

Re-read ALL the documentation supplied above.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

juanipina

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2019
Quebec, Canada.
Absolutely! Do review my content above and set up the checkboxes and reboot one more time. Assuming the GPU is in fact the problem you will have solved it.

Make sure your battery is GOOD. If in doubt, replace it with a new battery. Our MBP's will not boot with a bad battery, with or, without an AC MagSafe Adapter connected. It just won't happen. I cannot tell you how many hours of "testing" I wasted, because I did not realize my original battery was in fact "bad" or "dead" ...
[doublepost=1566577760][/doublepost]ALSO NOTE: Make sure SIP is inactive. If it (somehow) turns itself back on during all these reboots (It shouldn't but one never knows how it does) your "work-a-round" will not function.

If you have a working 15" or 17" 2011 MBP, you can install gfxCardStatus into the Applications Folder. Configure it as noted above. This may take two reboots, 1) after you install << reboot >> and 2) Configure as noted above, << reboot >>. Upon that reboot, your Intel GFX Chip will be in control. YOU WILL NOT HAVE the use of an external display at this point. Follow the configuration instructions above and assuming the GFX Card is in fact your issue, you'll be good to go.

Thank you, I just did it and it is working.

i make movies

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
If your MBP has been “down” for some time due to this problem, there is a chance the internal battery is either drained completely, or will otherwise not function as a “good working Battery.” A battery in this condition, will not allow your MBP to boot up, even if the AC Adapter is connected and plugged in. I learned this the hard way. I recommend you replace the battery before undertaking this project.

Is there a way to test the battery? I think I'm running into this issue. I have a 17" MacbookPro8,3 that won't boot. I can pull out the SSD and put it inside an enclosure and boot fine onto my MacPro5,1.

EDIT 1 - I have 8,3, not 8,2.

EDIT 2 - When I boot my 8,3 drive on my 5,1 MacPro, the kernel panic error comes up about the GPU.
*** Panic Report ***
panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7fa4a1f8d3): "GPU Panic: mux-regs 2 3 7f 0 0 0 severity 3 WS-ready 1 switch-state 3 IG FBs 1 EG FBs 0:0 power-state 3 3D idle HDA idle system-state 1 power-level 20:20 connect-change 0 : AGC GPU REGISTER RESTORE FAILED : rdar://7254528, VendorID invalid\n"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleGraphicsControl/AppleGraphicsControl-3.20.17/src/AppleMuxControl/kext/GPUPanic.cpp:170

Last edited:

mightymacman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
San Luis Obispo, CA
Sorry, not sure that I posted in the right place.
Hi, I just start having problems with display, but was able to reboot after many tries. I have download your APP gfxCardStatus 2.1 from you. Is it possible to install it on my MBP while still work ? I mean without taking the SSD out.
thank you

Yes, absolutely.
[automerge]1582164991[/automerge]
MMM:
I don't have access to a working 2011 MBP but do have my 2017 MBP. For step 00 through 07 would it be possible to use the 2017 MBP and get proper results ?

if your newer MBP is operational, you should be able the HD orSSD from the 2011 unit. You ought be able to configure the app as per the instructions above. Next replace the HD or SSD into the 2011 and boot it up.

teachmetosurf

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2019
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd follow up. This work-around got me up and running just fine; but I ended up installing a 2012 complete logic board in my 2011 MBP. I can confirm it works perfectly so far almost a year later. It was an expensive & scary option, but cheaper than a brand new laptop and I did it myself with basic laptop tools.

Reactions: mightymacman

SCRATCHaz

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2020
Hi guys.

I am not a technician, but I have studied and read a lot regarding the defective GPU in 2011 MacBook Pro. I have come across interesting observations which I can't find an answer or explanation.

I have two Macbook Pro's 8.3 (early 2011 17"). The one is with the failed GPU, so I have deactivated removing AMD kext following all steps (wasn't playing with changing EFI variables in Linux). The MBP is running perfectly on High Sierra 10.13.6 without any issues with brightness control, closing lid or restart/shutdown. And I haven't done any additional modifications apart from those that are mentioned in the thread.

The second MBP (running El Capitan) is still working with GPU, but showing all the symptoms of dying GPU: random freezes and restarts, blank screen on startup (with a chime or without), scrambled graphics. The most annoying thing is that sometimes after opening lid it freezes and shows a black screen and after forced shutdown, it doesn't boots-up (only CD/DVD sound, no chime, and blank screen). Then I have to wait while it will heat up (under the pillow), then unplug the charger that the battery would go completely empty and then reset SMC and so on. Only after that, it starts to boot again. The interesting fact that the issues with GPU started straight away after upgrading the RAM (from 8GB to 16GB). Not sure if the upgrade has impacted the fast GPU failure. On this MBP the logic board was once replaced under the Apple recall program and it lasted for almost 4 years before the upgrade.

Interesting observations:

It looks like even defective GPUs if you give the time for the MBP to heat enough it will boot-up. Then it will work if the overall temperature will be within the average range and there will be no heavy load on GPU. Tested on both MBPs. So no need to go to repair store to make a reflow.

The Arabesque screen saver (standard) which has a significant strain on GPU acts on both MBPs differently. On the one that still works with GPU and runs El Capitan, it works without any lag even using integrated graphics (gfxCardStatus shows that integrated graphics are used). On the other MBP (with disabled GPU and running High Sierra) the screen saver is so laggy. Keeping in mind that the first MPB (with enabled GPU) runs on HDD and faulty one on SSD it is very strange. Then I have switched the SSD to MBP that is with enabled GPU and I found interesting things. By default, if you don't switch to GPU the screen saver runs on integrated graphics on High Serra and it is very laggy, but if you manually switch to AMD then it works fine. Is there a difference in graphics processes between El Capitan and High Sierra?

Also, I would like to ask if the manual increase of VRAM on integrated graphics really helps.

TrabSeyn

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2021
Has anyone had their GPU replaced for their 17" late 2011 MBP and would have a vendor recommendation. Having the 2.5 Ghz AMD 6770 that has failed I'd like to have the GPU replaced but getting information about the specific replacement part from the vendors on eBay beyond "we replace with new chip" has not been reassuring. Having bought the last "best" 17" as a refurb in 2012 I'd like to coax a few more years out of the machine if possible. It has been in a drawer for a couple years since I hastily replaced with a 13" early 2011 and just swapped the drives to keep working. I figure throwing $150-$200 for repair isn't too prohibitive as I really need the external display to keep the MBP usable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.