Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenny1wk

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
After much researching, I replaced my 2012 Airport Extreme with an eero pro 6 router. My Airport Extreme has been rock solid for nearly 13 years now, but I was afraid it may die without me having a handy replacement. I only have a cable modem with 500 Mbps download available. The speed is no problem running 2 macs, streaming 3 TVs, printers, etc.. With my Airport unless 10-15 feet away. I couldn't get any speeds close to the max 500 Mbps. Most were in the 2-3 hundred range. With the eero pro 6 I'm getting 470 - 490 Mbps dowlnoad speeds 40 feet away from the router. I have the modem and wireless router pretty centralized in my home and with only one router I can shoot both stories of the house, the 2 car garage, and additional sun room almost continually in the 450 MBPS range. I haven't had a single drop yet, after 3 days, and found the eero app super easy to use.

Just wanted to share my experience with the eero pro 6 router.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Eero is owned by Amazon. Don't they collect usage data? If so, that unfortunately rules them out for me. When it comes time to replace my Airport Time Capsules, I'll probably buy a router that I can flash and install 3rd party firmware on.

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I have a AirPort Extreme and airport express?
(since many will visit this page instead of a new one)
will they teather for a stronger and longer signal?
they are the same name almost and password.
I’m thinking so, since after plugging in the express yesterday downstairs.

the 2012 Airport Extreme is still a great router sending a strong wifi signal.

thanks in advance!

Reactions: kenny1wk

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Three years ago I tried an expensive Linksys Triband Mesh System that was well reviewed to replace my aging 6th gen AirPort Extreme that would have drop outs and poor performance, but only sometimes.

Normally I would troubleshoot, but since my 6th gen AirPort Extreme was pretty old at that point, I figured that I would replace it with something modern.

Basically, the Mesh System actually performed worse than the AirPort. The issue had to do with congestion with the 2.4Ghz band in my area rather than a HW issue with my AirPort Extreme, after splitting the 2,4Ghz and 5Ghz band, and moving all my devices (that was compatible) over to the 5Ghz band, my performance was amazing. No drop outs, and really fast speeds to even an ATV that was two floors away from the router maxing out the ISPs 300Mbps speeds.

I also had roaming issues, which was one of the main reasons for getting a Mesh System. I wanted to have Wifi close to where I parked my car in my old house, so had a node as close as I could get to it. Issue was that my iPhone would stay linked with a different node and not automatically switch to the closest node. The signal sucked, worse than my old AirPort which would sometimes work at my car.

For the Linksys Mesh System, I talked to customer service for hours trying to make the performance better, making sure I didn't have a defective node, and their solution was to do what I did with the AirPort, split the bands. Their solution for wifi at my car was to turn off the wifi on my phone and turn it back on.

Yes, their solutions worked, but not as convenient as I would like nor what I paid for. This was especially true because the AirPort actually out performed the Mesh System even with the bands split on the new mesh system. I was paying for

I ended up returning their crazy expensive mesh system, and bought another AirPort Extreme on eBay for really cheap and moved it close to where I parked my car, solving that issue.

I have since bought a different home, this time a single family home, and have expanded my AirPort Extreme pseudo-mesh system to FIVE 6th gen AirPort Extreme units and one AirPort Express.

I replaced my 2012 Airport Extreme
the 2012 Airport Extreme is still a great router sending a strong wifi signal.
Pretty sure you have the 2013 AirPort Extreme.

I have a AirPort Extreme and airport express?
I have my AirPort Express on the same network as my AirPort Extremes, and they work fine together. I had issues in the past which I thought was related to my AirPort Express being only the older "n" wireless, but I am pretty sure all those issues had to do with my story above, the 2.4Ghz band.

I mainly use my AirPort Express as an AirPlay 2 device for a sound system, but no issues with it at all since splitting the band.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.