Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dagdagdag234

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2011
I don't get a chance to compare a lot of different tech, and except for my kindle paperwhite I own mostly apple stuff -- but a friend of mine gave me his old kindle fire HD 7" and it's been such an interesting experience comparing it to my original mini.

It's hard to argue that the mini has a better screen, it just doesn't look nearly as sharp, but the widescreen form factor on the fire really makes this a device just to consume, really. It's cramped, a little claustrophobic. The mini feels kind of huge after using the fire.

The fire's browser is choppy, the flow between screens is choppy, no multitasking, not a lot of great productivity apps, it's clear they just don't care about making the Fire a workstation of any kind.

Yet I see purpose for it if you buy only amazon and you want to read books and stream movies. I don't even known if I would choose to write an email on the fire vs my iPhone 5.

Is there anyone who finds the fire useable for work? Just curious.

And to get a little dig in at apple it now seems obvious to me the original mini didn't have a better screen because it didn't NEED to in order to snag people who wanted a consumption device that was also capable of light work.

I know I'm now commenting on year old tablets, but I figured there were others like me who are making choices about what devices to use that aren't the very latest.

Any fire fans out there think I'm off base on my analysis? Just curious.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
The Kindle Fire HD is a nice tablet for the price. The only downfall is the awful UI skin that Amazon put on top of Android. As you mentioned it's laggy, it's slow, etc. It's possible to install CyanogenMod (stock Android) over the stock ROM but it's a fairly challenging task to do. I agree with your thoughts and opinions about the Kindle Fire.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I don't multitask on any of my devices. Even on my computer, I'm usually stuck in one app these days.

So for me, when I had a Kindle Fire, it wasn't an issue. I gave mine to my dad in the end, because I'd rather have an iPad, with the apps I REALLY want.

i1280

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2012
Thinking about getting this Kindle for my kids to use. Has anyone had any experiences with their kids using the tablets?

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
I couldn't really find much use for my Kindle Fire HD outside of watching Netflix, reading, and, well, that's pretty much it. I picked up the Kindle HDX 8.9 and the web browsing is much better with the faster processor and higher definition screen, not to mention I got the larger version of the tablet.

Still, 16:9/10 isn't ideal for web browsing but compared to the previous generation, it is a lot better. iPad still reigns though when it comes to content creation on a tablet. Composing an email is something I don't think I'd do anyway on a touch screen if I didn't have to. It just takes too long compared to typing on a keyboard.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Kindle Fire HD will be $99 on Black Friday at Best Buy. More than worth it just for Amazon content alone.

BTW, I tried the HDX 8.9 on display at BB. What the downfall with that tablet is presently? The price.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Thinking about getting this Kindle for my kids to use. Has anyone had any experiences with their kids using the tablets?

I would highly recommend buying a nexus 7 2013 or if your budget is constrained try to find a used 2012 nexus 7. The amazon android fork leaves a lot to be desired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.