Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bryyyyy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2024
Hi all
Let me start out by saying I'm.pants when it comes to computers, anyway here goes
I've got a 2012 mac air I've just factory reset it ,going through set up is OK until I get to setting.up a new I cloud account I fill it in but when I get to the date of birth it won't click on to the next page , so if I skip , the .mac book won't allow me on the app store and I can't down load updates, can anyone help or is the macbook to old and needs binning ?

IngoX

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2022
Sweden
How old are you? You can’t create an AppleID with age under 13 without parental consent. For some regions the age is 14, 15 or 16 years old.

The minimum age for account creation may vary across countries and regions as follows: Under 14 in Austria, Bulgaria, China mainland, Cyprus, Israel, Italy, Lithuania, South Korea, and Spain. Under 15 in Czech Republic, France, Greece, Peru, and Slovenia. Under 16 in Brazil, Croatia, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Kosovo, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Netherlands, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Singapore, and Slovakia. Under 13 in all other countries and regions.

IngoX

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2022
Sweden
If the problem is that OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion is to old to create an Apple ID from within the OS you can use a webbrowser instead:
https://appleid.apple.com/account

Or you can update the OS without the App Store by going into macOS Recovery. Start the computer with Option-Command-R pressed, that option might offer you the latest compatible version, which for a 2012 MBA should be macOS 10.15 Catalina.

• Command-R: When you press and hold these two keys at startup, macOS Recovery will offer the current version of the most recently installed macOS.
  • Option-Command-R: When you press and hold these three keys at startup, macOS Recovery might offer the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.
  • Shift-Option-Command-R: When you press and hold these four keys at startup, macOS Recovery might offer the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.