Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tahoe_pow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2023
I have a 2012 Mac Mini running Catalina. I have been using two monitors for a couple years, both LG. One is connected via HDMI and the other is via the DisplayPort. I've never had an issue.

Yesterday, the monitor connect via HDMI stopped getting a signal and is dark. The monitor powers up and seems fine. When I try to get the mac to detect the monitor, nothing happens. I haven't updated anything.

So far, I've switched to a new HDMI cable, reset the monitor and still no progress. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
same thing happened to me when I used Catalina in 2020 I needed to toggle the display on and off to get the HDMI owning to a Samsung tv 720
then I needed to switch the resolution to a certain setting for scaling
which never was adequate so I went back to Mojave.

what I am trying to advice eis to check the display settings while the HDMI is plugged in.
you night need to mirror the screen so you can use both screen if the mini sends a signal to the monitor.

I hoped this helped!

Tahoe_pow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2023
Hi, thank you for replying. In the Display settings, it doesn't recognize the second monitor that's plugged into the the HDMI port. Is there another setting I should be looking at adjusting? I've switched monitors and both work from the display port. It just appears that a signal is not being sent via HDMI. My guess is that this is a software issue or setting.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Hi, thank you for replying. In the Display settings, it doesn't recognize the second monitor that's plugged into the the HDMI port. Is there another setting I should be looking at adjusting? I've switched monitors and both work from the display port. It just appears that a signal is not being sent via HDMI. My guess is that this is a software issue or setting.
Id love to give you a direct answer, but forgot and do not use Catalina.
those were my memory (brain) suggestions.
there are a few members here who might add their mini ‘12 advice soon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.