Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

interconnect

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
Just chiming in to say I have the same issue with my 2012 Mac mini. I recently upgraded from a 1080p monitor connected via HDMI to a 2k (2560x1440) connected via Thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort. I had no issues with the 1080p monitor with HDMI. It was as soon as I connected the new monitor with Mini-DP that I started having issues. I've ruled out the cable and monitor as the source of the problem, and after reading this thread, I can safely say that the Thunderbolt/Mini DisplayPort is the issue.

Some additional notes: I never put my Mac mini to sleep; I have always just had the mini put the display/monitor to sleep after x minutes, so I don't believe this is even a Mac mini sleep issue. Seems to be just an issue with waking the monitor itself out of sleep.

osrl

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2020
Well I think this is not a mac mini only issue. I have the same problem with my Late 2012 MacBook Pro.

CF2CH

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2020
The solution I originally posted stopped working. I deleted it so you wouldn't waste your time with it.

Last edited:

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014
I don't have mac mini (yet)... This issue is not Mac related. It happens on window PC too. Something to do with Display protocol losing signal between GPU and monitor. I tried many different cables, even attempt to modify pin 20, without any luck.

it happens less often when using deep sleep manually, in window PC, where waking up is going through booting up.

Last edited:

eddie0

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2020
Some news from my side :(
The order for the adapter ( see post #73 ) did not yet arrive due to COVID19..
So I ordered an active adapter cable from Thunderbolt to HDMI. I thought, this should be the same.
But, now the Mac Mini identifies HDMI connection and reduces the resolution to HD.
What a mess....
Anyone an idea how to enforce a 2560x1440 resolution with Display Port -> HDMI?
Pressing the <ALT> key during resolution selection did not help, it does not show the "higher" resolutions.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Did you make sure that the adapter outputs more than just 1920x1080 (FullHD) via HDMI? If so, perhaps an EDID override could help you solve your HDMI problem. It sure did, when my 2018 mini insisted on using a wrong color scheme for the HDMI monitor :)

eddie0

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2020
Whatever „shure“ means ...
it was sold as 4k capable, Mac compatible and so on..
many thanks for the link. Just checking..

Last edited:

greenbear

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
Also having this problem after updating my monitors (Lenovo Thinkvision LEN P27u-10 Display and LEN T22i-10 Display), one by display port (mini display port to display port) and the other by HDMI. As with others, my main issue was having to reboot the computer to get it to detect the display. Does not seem like apple will be making any updates to Mac Mini 2012. I did notice, however, that the next morning it did detect my display port monitor, briefly, so here is my interim solution...

Interim Solution (without having to reboot) when it is in power saving mode:
Go to System Preferences>Energy Saver, change settings to "computer sleep" and "display sleep" to 1 minute. Turn off displays, leave Display port and HDMI connected. Put computer to sleep (Command+Option+eject), then wait one minute. Turn on Display Port monitor. Wake computer, and as someone mentioned above computer seems to go through a process to reset monitor (perhaps someone else has a more technical explanation). Bingo, display port connected. Then, turn on HDMI display and good to go (no need to reboot computer). Oh, and then change back your Energy Saver settings to whatever you want.

It is cumbersome, but better than having to reboot computer every time it sleeps.

Last edited:
Reactions: eddie0

eddie0

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2020
Hello Greenbear,
thanks for the input. I'll try next time, it happens.
In the meantime I tried the following things:
Bought an active Minidisplayport --> HDMI cable.

Very interesting but finally helpless result:
1. When the "issue" happens with the MiniDP -> DP cable and you install the Minidp --> HDMI cable, the screen comes back to work. BUT:
2. Using the MiniDP-> DP cable again leaves the screen blank. :-(
3. The MiniDP --> HDMI cable does not really work with the screen. The Mac has the "correct" idea about the screen resolution, but the picture on the screen ist stretched. So the edges are outside the screen and the resolution does not fit to the screen. I was not able to repair this.
4. I installed SwitchResX. Really nice tool, but also not cabable to repair the wrong display settings.

I used this cable:
CSL - 1m 4k Mini Displayport 1.2 auf HDMI Kabel UHD 4kx2k - Kompatibel mit Thunderbolt 1- und Thunderbolt 2-Ports - 4K Ultra HD 2160p Full HD 1080p - kompatibel mit Apple Lenovo Surface
von CSL-Computer
Erfahren Sie mehr: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01LWXAVL4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_NoCLFb09JN1BN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered already another adapter, hope this will work. I keep you updated.
The alternative might be to generate a custom screen setting with SwitchResX. I'll have to find time for this.

It is a pity, that we have to spend time for this kind of issue only because Apple didn't care about the problem.

marerl

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2020
Hallo.
I had the same problem when i purchased my MAC MINI 2012 i7
My solution to maintain resolution 2560x1440 with my Dell U2713HM and have wake up after sleep to funktion is as follow.
I cloud not use Mini display to Display cable due to wakeup problems. I had to purchase Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter.
After this install system worked. And had also replace Dell original DVI cable and purchase better quality DVI-cable in order to get things working like they should.

Rgds E.Asker

Attachments

• Adapter.png
    Adapter.png
    155 KB · Views: 229
Reactions: Neodym

eddie0

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2020
Also having this problem after updating my monitors (Lenovo Thinkvision LEN P27u-10 Display and LEN T22i-10 Display), one by display port (mini display port to display port) and the other by HDMI. As with others, my main issue was having to reboot the computer to get it to detect the display. Does not seem like apple will be making any updates to Mac Mini 2012. I did notice, however, that the next morning it did detect my display port monitor, briefly, so here is my interim solution...

Interim Solution (without having to reboot) when it is in power saving mode:
Go to System Preferences>Energy Saver, change settings to "computer sleep" and "display sleep" to 1 minute. Turn off displays, leave Display port and HDMI connected. Put computer to sleep (Command+Option+eject), then wait one minute. Turn on Display Port monitor. Wake computer, and as someone mentioned above computer seems to go through a process to reset monitor (perhaps someone else has a more technical explanation). Bingo, display port connected. Then, turn on HDMI display and good to go (no need to reboot computer). Oh, and then change back your Energy Saver settings to whatever you want.

It is cumbersome, but better than having to reboot computer every time it sleeps.
Hello Greenbear,
after some days of "works as it should", I had the problem again. No idea, what the root cause is.
But, good news:
Your description above worked for me! Thanks again for sharing!
And, I agree, whatever these people at apple are doing, I don't understand, why they didn't simply fix this. Should be less than a days work.

vitruvian

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2020
SOLVED. I had exactly the same, described issue with my mini 2018 and a Samsung TV. The Apple dealer in Budapest suggested to insert a Thunderbolt adapter, ie. an USB-C HDMI adapter (for example: https://www.amazon.com/usb-c-hdmi/s?k=usb+c+to+hdmi). Using this adapter solved my problem. Since using it mini is waking up the display every time.

eddie0

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2020
Hello Greenbear,
after some days of "works as it should", I had the problem again. No idea, what the root cause is.
But, good news:
Your description above worked for me! Thanks again for sharing!
And, I agree, whatever these people at apple are doing, I don't understand, why they didn't simply fix this. Should be less than a days work.
Update:
For me, a more simple procedure works:

When the DP Screen does not wake up:
1. Standby Computer ( cmd alt eject )
2. Disconnect HDMI Screen
3. Wake up Computer again
4. Reconnect HDMI Screen
Has worked a few times without problems.

For my 2012 mac mini the solution with the adapter cable didn't work (see above )

Reactions: macbookpromusic

foobash

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2021
I'm experiencing the same problem on a 2012 Mac mini with a Samsung Ultrawide at 3440x1440 using mDP-DP - but it's the only monitor I have running. No dual setup. I find the idea that there's a timing disagreement between the Mac and the monitor pretty compelling. It wakes from sleep successfully about half the time. Glad I have an SSD so restarting doesn't take forever.
Hey TinkerTenor, I have the same exact Mac mini/Samsung setup as you!

I probably get about 90% success rate (but I don't Sleep, I Lock Screen and the monitor itself turns off in less than a minute...I guess from getting no signal). When I run a 50/50 PIP (Windows left - HDMI, Mac right - DP) split, I get 100% success until I give my mac mini the full screen back (turning off PIP and Source to DP)...then it's about 50% chance.

My work around: I have VNC viewer on my my macbook pro (2015 i7) and access the mac mini to restart it. The mac mini is outputting a video signal...because on the VNC viewer my mac mini is outputting the 3340x1440 mac mini resolution setting on my macbook pro. VNC Viewer always outputs the host resolution by default.

Also, I did just notice: Samsung -> System -> DisplayPort Ver. = 1.2. I just changed it to 1.1 and will report any difference. I believe Mac Mini 2012 is DP version 1.1 (hence why it doesn't support 4k).

Are you running SwitchResX? I have that to run my resolution to 3440x1440 @ 45hz.

I was next thinking to do: Mac Mini - DP ---> HDMI - Samsung.

I'm new to this forum, but if there is a way we can PM and maybe create a Google Sheet to go through a logical checklist of every possible combination...I'd be happy to try and figure this out with you.

macbookpromusic

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2015
Update:
For me, a more simple procedure works:

1. Standby Computer ( cmd alt eject )
2. Disconnect HDMI Screen
3. Wake up Computer again
4. Reconnect HDMI Screen
Has worked a few times without problems.

For my 2012 mac mini the solution with the adapter cable didn't work (see above )

Thank you! This worked.

For me on Mojave on my i7 Mac Mini (Late 2012) with a Mini Display Port to Display Port cable into my Samsung 34" monitor S34J55x at 3440p 21:9 50hz, this workaround saved me from having to reset my computer when it didn't wake properly.

I did the following:

1. Standby Computer (cmd + alt + eject)
2. Turned off my Samsung Screen (long press on the power button)
3. Wake up Computer again (in my case by hard clicking the external trackpad)
4. Turned back on the HDMI Screen (pressed the power button)

And the screen powered up with the login screen

By the way, when it happened again a bit later, I saw the same positive result by simply carrying out the following even quicker procedure:

2. Wake up Computer again (in my case by hard clicking the external trackpad)

Again the screen powered up with the login screen

Some side notes:

1. This is an intermittent issue for me - I had though it only happened after my computer had not been used for a while since sleeping it (i.e. 24hrs+) but then I saw it a minute or so after sending it to sleep from the  menu. The issue didn't happen the next time I slept it from the  menu and woke it up shortly after - that time it woke up perfectly hence me saying it's intermittent.

2. When my Samsung S34J55x Monitor doesn't wake up properly from sleep - as others have said - trying to wake it up with the keyboard will make the monitor react - it will light up dimly but with no signal and the in-monitor menu will show the DP input logo but no signal is shown, no matter how many times I click the trackpad or strike the keys!

3. As a newbie to this I've learnt there are various states of sleep on Macs - for example normal Sleep; Deep Sleep; Display Sleep - so it's important to be clear which sleep state their computer is in when the issue occurs. As mentioned earlier on the thread, some of these settings can be adjusted in Energy Saver Preferences. On my Mac I have the Display Sleep set to come on after 15 minutes of inactivity, and I have the Computer Sleep set to 3 hours. It may be that this issue isn't seen under Display Sleep so for me only happens after 3 hours of inactivity or when I put it to sleep manually using the  menu. If that's the case and Display Sleep doesn't have this issue, then as has been mentioned, it's possible to set the Computer Sleep setting to Never - which although not ideal for power saving could mean that the Mac will always wake up as it will always only ever be in the Display Sleep state.

4. The 'Lock the Screen' option on the  menu may be the same as Display Sleep. I have a hot corner set up on the lower left hand corner of the screen which is set to Display Sleep so that's a nice easy way to Display Sleep it quickly as you walk away from the computer.

5. Weirdly on my Mac, when it's sent to normal sleep from the  menu, sometimes the light on the front of my Mac mini goes off completely and sometimes it pulses in and out. I've seen various pages on the internet including an Apple support article explaining what light combinations (i.e. always on, always off, pulsing etc.) relate to which state, i.e. powered on, powered off, sleep, deep sleep, display sleep, etc. but my Mac doesn't seem to correlate to what it says so I'd be aware if you're trying to work out what state it's in from the Light indicator alone!

6. I use SwitchResX to support my monitor at 3440px x 1440px, have 16GB Ram and I'm on the latest Mojave.

Not sure if any of that is helpful, but just to say thanks again to everyone who's contributed here as this workaround has already and will continue to save me a lot of pain in the future!

foobash

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2021
Hey TinkerTenor, I have the same exact Mac mini/Samsung setup as you!

I probably get about 90% success rate (but I don't Sleep, I Lock Screen and the monitor itself turns off in less than a minute...I guess from getting no signal). When I run a 50/50 PIP (Windows left - HDMI, Mac right - DP) split, I get 100% success until I give my mac mini the full screen back (turning off PIP and Source to DP)...then it's about 50% chance.

My work around: I have VNC viewer on my my macbook pro (2015 i7) and access the mac mini to restart it. The mac mini is outputting a video signal...because on the VNC viewer my mac mini is outputting the 3340x1440 mac mini resolution setting on my macbook pro. VNC Viewer always outputs the host resolution by default.

Also, I did just notice: Samsung -> System -> DisplayPort Ver. = 1.2. I just changed it to 1.1 and will report any difference. I believe Mac Mini 2012 is DP version 1.1 (hence why it doesn't support 4k).

Are you running SwitchResX? I have that to run my resolution to 3440x1440 @ 45hz.

I was next thinking to do: Mac Mini - DP ---> HDMI - Samsung.

I'm new to this forum, but if there is a way we can PM and maybe create a Google Sheet to go through a logical checklist of every possible combination...I'd be happy to try and figure this out with you.
Also, I did just notice: Samsung -> System -> DisplayPort Ver. = 1.2. I just changed it to 1.1 and will report any difference.

Update: Changing from 1.2 to 1.1 made no difference.

foobash

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2021
Thank you! This worked.

For me on Mojave on my i7 Mac Mini (Late 2012) with a Mini Display Port to Display Port cable into my Samsung 34" monitor S34J55x at 3440p 21:9 50hz, this workaround saved me from having to reset my computer when it didn't wake properly.

I did the following:

2. Turned off my Samsung Screen (long press on the power button)
3. Wake up Computer again (in my case by hard clicking the external trackpad)
4. Turned back on the HDMI Screen (pressed the power button)

And the screen powered up with the login screen

By the way, when it happened again a bit later, I saw the same positive result by simply carrying out the following even quicker procedure:

2. Wake up Computer again (in my case by hard clicking the external trackpad)

Again the screen powered up with the login screen

Some side notes:

1. This is an intermittent issue for me - I had though it only happened after my computer had not been used for a while since sleeping it (i.e. 24hrs+) but then I saw it a minute or so after sending it to sleep from the  menu. The issue didn't happen the next time I slept it from the  menu and woke it up shortly after - that time it woke up perfectly hence me saying it's intermittent.

2. When my Samsung S34J55x Monitor doesn't wake up properly from sleep - as others have said - trying to wake it up with the keyboard will make the monitor react - it will light up dimly but with no signal and the in-monitor menu will show the DP input logo but no signal is shown, no matter how many times I click the trackpad or strike the keys!

3. As a newbie to this I've learnt there are various states of sleep on Macs - for example normal Sleep; Deep Sleep; Display Sleep - so it's important to be clear which sleep state their computer is in when the issue occurs. As mentioned earlier on the thread, some of these settings can be adjusted in Energy Saver Preferences. On my Mac I have the Display Sleep set to come on after 15 minutes of inactivity, and I have the Computer Sleep set to 3 hours. It may be that this issue isn't seen under Display Sleep so for me only happens after 3 hours of inactivity or when I put it to sleep manually using the  menu. If that's the case and Display Sleep doesn't have this issue, then as has been mentioned, it's possible to set the Computer Sleep setting to Never - which although not ideal for power saving could mean that the Mac will always wake up as it will always only ever be in the Display Sleep state.

4. The 'Lock the Screen' option on the  menu may be the same as Display Sleep. I have a hot corner set up on the lower left hand corner of the screen which is set to Display Sleep so that's a nice easy way to Display Sleep it quickly as you walk away from the computer.

5. Weirdly on my Mac, when it's sent to normal sleep from the  menu, sometimes the light on the front of my Mac mini goes off completely and sometimes it pulses in and out. I've seen various pages on the internet including an Apple support article explaining what light combinations (i.e. always on, always off, pulsing etc.) relate to which state, i.e. powered on, powered off, sleep, deep sleep, display sleep, etc. but my Mac doesn't seem to correlate to what it says so I'd be aware if you're trying to work out what state it's in from the Light indicator alone!

6. I use SwitchResX to support my monitor at 3440px x 1440px, have 16GB Ram and I'm on the latest Mojave.

Not sure if any of that is helpful, but just to say thanks again to everyone who's contributed here as this workaround has already and will continue to save me a lot of pain in the future!
I have the same setup as you. I myself have trouble understanding the sleep logic/settings on mac desktops as you are discussing in 3.

I will try the Standby Method next time.

My current quick way is to open up my MacBook Pro and use VNC Connect (free) to remotely (WiFi) login the Mini and restart. It's definitely a DP port communication issue. Because on my MBP, the VNC displays my mini at 3440p x 1440.

Thank you for your detailed explanation.

Reactions: macbookpromusic

phrank303

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2021
SOLVED – so far…

Hi, i’m usíng my old Mac mini 2012 with a big Sony TV as media station, but sometimes it's more comfortable to directly look at a little screen than far away on my TV. So i plugged in my little EIZO (which only have Display Port, DVI and VGA) via Display Port to Mini Display Port cable and got the same experience like most of you.

Today i’ve tried an old "Dr. Bott Universal Mini DisplayPort Adapter" which connects via thunderbold / Mini Display Port to my Mac.

I’ve plugged an old DVI to HDMI converter cable into this adapter (HDMI plug in) and the DVI into my EIZO and, so far, fingers crossed, it’s working like it should be;-)

P.S. If I find my Display Port to Display Port cable I will test too…

eddie0

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2020
NEW INFORMATION:
I am now shure, the wakeup issue is connected to a running Windows 10 VM in Virtual Box.
I had the "wakeup issue" today again and the "sleep / awake" process does not work. The DP
screen always gets black when connecting the HDMI screen.
I closed the VM and it works.

No idea, what the reason is... Just, if this helps anyone.

ZT742

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2021
I'm having this issue too- Mac Mini 2012 i5.

One monitor straight from the HDMI port, the other via a miniDP to full-size DP cable.

The Mac would sleep, and sometimes (more often than not) on waking, the HDMI screen would wake up and show the background, and the DP one would stay off. The HDMI monitor would then flash between background and black, almost as if it was trying to detect the off monitor. Odd thing is that the off monitor wouldn't respond to anything- light stays orange, can't turn it on or completely off at all- suggesting it was sensing something.

Only way to get both working again was a hard reset- I didn't have any restart buttons to press on the screen as HDMI was the second monitor, plus even if I could it wouldn't respond while doing the flashing-searching-thing.

Tried swapping the cables and problem stuck with whichever was DP.

I am now using HDMI and miniDP to HDMI adaptor and the DP one now won't even come on to start with, no signal at all. So, I'm thinking my DP port is bad :(

ANV

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2021
Hello!

I have a 2012 mac mini 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 running running MacOS Mojave with 2 external monitors hooked up via HDMI and DisplayPort.

The Issue:
The monitor connection works correctly (I'm typing this on it now), until I attempt to wake the monitor from sleep. The Mac Mini itself clearly wakes when I click the mouse (the white light stops blinking and stays solid) and the monitor via HDMI wakes up properly. The issue is intermittently (non-consistent) the DisplayPort Monitor does not receive a signal, and does NOT wake up. I have to perform a restart of the machine to be able to use the DisplayPort monitor again.

Can anyone offer any advice about this? It's very annoying not being able to quickly wake up the display when I need to use the Mac and have to perform a restart.

Thanks in advance for everyone's time and help, it is greatly appreciated!
Hi there! I upgraded my mac mini 2012 late to BigSur OS and the issue has 90% gone. Now I have an uptime of 16 days and it is still waking up. I had a few wake-up failures but it is ver-very rare now. To install BigSur you need to use tweak since Mac mini 2012 is not supported by Apple. But BigSur is fully functional but Wi-Fi which can be solved by using a Wi-Fi patch. Here's the instructions link:

Reactions: kchai007 and ZT742

eelpout

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Silicon Valley
I have similar issues with a (2019 Intel) Mini. From a deep sleep I tap the mouse or keyboard and the Mini (and monitor) starts to wake, but my 27" LG monitor is very impatient and expects the computer to be fully awake within about 5 seconds and starts shouting "No Signal(!)" problems if it's not and goes back to power saving mode. Really stupid and no way to disable it on the LG. (this is on HDMI)

The issue is my two external SCSI drives have to wake from sleep themselves and take a while, but aren't fast enough for the LG monitor tapping its foot and the Mini is in some state where the login screen isn't quite yet ready to be displayed. It's a convolution of problems and frankly I'm not sure who to blame. :(

Greendrake

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2021
Having this issue today in August 2021 with stuff all bought new this year:
  • Mac Mini M1, 2020, Big Sur 11.5.1 (20G80)
  • Samsung Odyssey LC27G7xT
  • Direct DisplayPort cable connection, no adapters
Sorry, I'm running out of discreet words.

Reactions: kchai007

A4orce84

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Having this issue today in August 2021 with stuff all bought new this year:
  • Mac Mini M1, 2020, Big Sur 11.5.1 (20G80)
  • Samsung Odyssey LC27G7xT
  • Direct DisplayPort cable connection, no adapters
Sorry, I'm running out of discreet words.

Man super disappointing that this is STILL an issue even with the new M1 Mac Mini's. Thanks for the details @Greendrake!

Reactions: kchai007
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.