Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snipecaik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Belfast
Hi, I recently bought a second hand macbook air, and for the most part, the speakers don't work, although I have on occasion been able to get them to work, once after I reset the OS and another after I played around with ending audio processes within the activity monitor. I also tried installing windows 10, and the problem appears to be persistent; it worked after I installed windows, but hasn't since. The headphone jack doesn't work, everytime I try to adjust the audio, I get a circle with a line through it.
Things that I have tried include, resetting the PVRAM/ NVRAM, cleaning headphone jack, quitting coreaudiod in system preferences, diskutility repair and resetting the smc. None of these solutions have worked, I should also point out that there are a number of dents on the base of the machine. I suppose it could be a physical defect, but that doesn't explain why I was sometimes able to get the sound to work when I adjusted software settings.
Thanks for any help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.