Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NiallOptic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
Belfast
Hi,

I have been using my MacBook Pro 2012 (mid) for a few years with a 1080p Hd monitor. I am a gamer aswell and I have recently purchased EG 27" QHD 144hz 1ms Gaming Monitor. This is just to see how I feel about a gaming monitor before I buy a more expensive one. My question is I have never had any problems connecting to monitor from my MacBook Pro via the mini display port. But with the monitor mentioned above, the MacBook does not detect it at all. I have turned the Mac on and off and have tried to force it to detect the monitor from the preference menu. I have read that the MacBook should support a 4K monitor. I don’t expect to get 2K etc from my monitor but would have expected the monitor to down scale to 1080p. I only use this for a second screen for work flow etc.
Any help or even explanation why this doesn’t work would be appreciated. Many thanks

justashooter

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2020
The 2012 MacBook Pro supports up to 2k (maximum of 2560x1600 @ 60Hz). You will not get 144Hz from this MBP.
I realize this is basic but could be missed, is there a menu on the monitor where you have to select displayport?

NiallOptic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2020
Belfast
The 2012 MacBook Pro supports up to 2k (maximum of 2560x1600 @ 60Hz). You will not get 144Hz from this MBP.
I realize this is basic but could be missed, is there a menu on the monitor where you have to select displayport?
I have actually got it connected via mini display to HDMI. I have a mini display to display port cable arriving tomorrow do you think that will help ?

justashooter

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2020
I have actually got it connected via mini display to HDMI. I have a mini display to display port cable arriving tomorrow do you think that will help ?
Yes.

The are various revisions of HDMI and I have read posts on various forums where hdmi cords do not support more than 1080p. Some have even bought "active" cables and can not get more than 1080p. I know that some Dell monitors that support higher resolutions via other connections only support 1080p via hdmi.

I believe a displayport cable with fix your problem. I guess in a day we will know.

mitchybn

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2021
@NiallOptic hi! i was looking for someone who is also using an external monitor with his MBP mid 2012 and i found your post here. I was trying to connect an external monitor (HP LA2306) to my MBP mid 2012 but for some reason I cant seem to do it. Can you help? I tried using mini display port to display port cable, but my monitor is not connecting successfully to my MBP and just keep showing no signal. I dont also have the display arrangement settings on my MBP.

LeeboFitz

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2021
@NiallOptic hi! i was looking for someone who is also using an external monitor with his MBP mid 2012 and i found your post here. I was trying to connect an external monitor (HP LA2306) to my MBP mid 2012 but for some reason I cant seem to do it. Can you help? I tried using mini display port to display port cable, but my monitor is not connecting successfully to my MBP and just keep showing no signal. I dont also have the display arrangement settings on my MBP.
Hey, curious to know if either of your problems got solved? Cheers Lee

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.