Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desertskymc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
So i have a 2012 5.1 Macpro with an AMD RX 580 8gb Graphics card, i built 3 ssd boot drives that have been successfully booting OS Monterey for a couple of months, the day after loggin in to one of these drives i discover the boot is frozen right at the beginning of the load screen with the Apple logo , i tried booting from the other Monterey installs with the same result. after trying a repatch with the Opencore app from a Catalina install and also removing all drives except 1, I have had no success diagnosing the issue, as I said I am able to boot Catalina but nothing beyond, when trying to create a Monterey boot drive from scratch with my opencore Monterey install, the install progress gets hung up in a loop. The ONLY change i believe i made a few days before the problem was upgrading my 27 inch Dell monitor to a Gygabyte 32 inch Gaming monitor, but it doesnt change anything reverting back to the Dell monitor . Could this be a defective graphics card? or can anyone offer a fix, thankyou in advance.

desertskymc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Hey, thanks so much, yes this worked perfectly, i'ts a mystery to me how things changed but this was the fix, all Monterey drives are booting now. I do not fully understand the 'Are you using a manually configured OC or somethinglike OCLC?' question, but the OC install was using the default Macpro 5.1 build as chosen by the software, with no added configeration tweaks by me.

Reactions: crjackson2134

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Hey, thanks so much, yes this worked perfectly, i'ts a mystery to me how things changed but this was the fix, all Monterey drives are booting now. I do not fully understand the 'Are you using a manually configured OC or somethinglike OCLC?' question, but the OC install was using the default Macpro 5.1 build as chosen by the software, with no added configeration tweaks by me.
I’m glad it worked out for you.

OC = Manually installed OpenCore
OCLP = OpenCore Legacy Patcher - A helper App the assists in installing, configuring, custom patching OpenCore

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.