Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RetiredRobin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2023
I have a 2012 mac mini bought from new but not used for a long, long time but still working fine. Recently I let a young friend borrow it for a project but it has been returned and I am unable to boot it up! It shows on screen it is booting up very slowly but the bar reaches the end and there it stays. I have been retired now for some 17 years but can remember I could try holding comR or holding the start button until it zaps the p.ram ?? To no avail. I would now like to give this mini to someone who might be able to make use of it but it 'don't work' Help please
Mac Mini late 2012, Processor 2.5GHz, intel core i5, Memory 4GB, 1600MHz, DDR3, 500GB hard drive

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
Combination Keys to reset PRAM are Command-Option-P-R. But it's like the Mac has other problem since it can find the boot drive but can't finish the boot process.

The slow hard disk and the 4GB RAM is OK for an OS not newer than El Capitan.

If there is no valuable data on the HDD, I would erase the drive and install OS 10.8.5 or 10.9.5 on it, just to see if it works.

RetiredRobin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2023
The operating system I think is the one before Al Capitan a mountain scene if I remember. There is nothing on the HDD of real importance but how do I erase it if it will not boot up?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Try this:

Boot to INTERNET recovery:
From a powered-off state...
Press the power-on button, and then...
IMMEDIATELY hold down "Command-OPTION-R" and KEEP HOLDING THEM DOWN for a while.

If you are connecting to the net via wifi, you'll need your wifi password.
Enter it when asked.
Or... when you see "the spinning globe", let go of the keys above.

The internet utilities take a while to load, so be patient.

IMPORTANT QUESTION:
You don't care if the entire drive gets erased?
If not, then continue on.

Once the utilities are loaded, open disk utility.
CHECK THE MENU BAR to see if there is a "view" menu.
If there IS, you MUST go to it and choose "show all devices".
(if there IS NOT a view menu, don't worry, just continue).

Look at "the list on the left".
The topmost item should be the internal drive.
Click on it, and then click erase.
Erase it to APFS, GUID partition format.
Now quit disk utility and open the OS installer.

Start clicking through the OS installer.
The Mac will reboot one or more times, and the screen will go dark and stay that way for a minute or more. Be patient.

When done, you should see the initial setup screen.
At this point, it's ready to give away and let someone else set it up "for the first time".
Try "Command-Q" to quit the installer and then shut down.

IF that doesn't work, just reach around and hold down the power-on button until the screen goes dark and the Mini shuts down. It's now "ready for the next owner".

Good luck.

A little more:
These days, 4gb of RAM "is no longer enough".
The new owner should buy ONE 8gb DIMM, take the back cover off, and replace the "topmost" 2gb DIMM with the 8gb one. That will give 10gb of installed RAM, and make it much more usable.

The new owner could also pick up a 512gb or 1tb USB3 SSD (such as the Samsung t7 shield), and plug that in and set it up to be the "new boot drive". It will run considerably faster!

Reactions: Omnius and Pattaya

RetiredRobin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2023
Hi Fishrrman. Been out all day but just finished following your instructions as near as possible, plugged the Mac into my internet and it booted up with Catalina 10.15.7 (no other choice) perhaps this is the latest OS it can use? Whoever gets the Mac now I will give them your recommendations regarding an upgrade. Thank you so much, I was all for putting it in the bin. In my long, long ago working days as a Mac artworker I had a full IT department backup to solve my problems so your instructions are very welcome.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
You‘re describing headaches you’d see when you update to most recent software and the mini isn’t physically capable of running it properly. My 2.3ghz Mid 2011 was struggling hard to load up and then function when it would load after an upgrade to High Sierra after being fine on El Capitan. I fixed it and got it super snappy by upgrading ram to 16gb and replacing the HDs to SSDs. 2 1TB SSDS were like $70 each and 16gb of ram was like $30. My update was overkill but this is more of a hobby for me.

RetiredRobin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2023
You‘re describing headaches you’d see when you update to most recent software and the mini isn’t physically capable of running it properly. My 2.3ghz Mid 2011 was struggling hard to load up and then function when it would load after an upgrade to High Sierra after being fine on El Capitan. I fixed it and got it super snappy by upgrading ram to 16gb and replacing the HDs to SSDs. 2 1TB SSDS were like $70 each and 16gb of ram was like $30. My update was overkill but this is more of a hobby for me.
Thank you for your reply. Now nearly 80 I am happy to play on a small macbook air and not have the 'trauma' of upgrades. I have a young guy coming round this morning to buy the mini at a silly price really. I will pass your information, and that of Fishrrman, to the new owner which I'm sure he will find very useful.
Thank you...

Reactions: Omnius
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.