Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Antares23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Chartres, France
Hi !
So, I'll soon get quite a lot of cash and I thought that was the perfect occasion to upgrade my setup.
I've always used vintage Mac (2006 Macs in 2014, 2009 in 2015, 2012 in 2019, 2013 in 2021 (and today in 2024)
So, I basically have 2133€ to spend. (Before selling the iMac, if I end up doing so)

First thing that will be upgraded: the computer.
I needed a laptop, but I think that instead of getting like a 2015 MBP, and keep using my 27" 2013 iMac, I would be better off selling that 2013 iMac, get a 14" MacBook Pro and a great display. So that way I would really get a great performance boost, great battery life and all the goodness that comes with Apple Silicon, that is going to last me much much longer than a maxed out 2015 MacBook Pro.

I've found 2021 M1 Pro 14" 16GB RAM/512GB SSD for 1300-1500€.
So that will let me with 800-600€ to spend on a decent monitor.

I like my iMac screen to be honest and if there's a way to use that iMac as a display for my 14" MBP, I would totally keep it as it could make a sick machine running Windows. (Yeh I know tdm doesn't work under windows but I was talking about dual booting)

But if that's not an option, and I do actually sell it, what would be good recommendation ? I like the Thunderbolt Display as they keep that Apple esthetic, integrated webcam, USB and Thunderbolt hub, Ethernet port, but resolution wise they're not the best (I can get 27/33" Dell 4K screen for their price)

What would you do ?

Try to hack a display out of my existing iMac ?
Buying a Thunderbolt Display ?
Or just get a much better display altogether ?

Here's some display I've found (used) in my price range) that seems to have that one-cable solution, one USB-C cable that would charge the Mac, provide display, USB, Ethernet and Power.

27" 4K: 2407606125.htm
32" 4K https://www.leboncoin.fr/accessoires_informatique/2479155421.htm

What would be your recommandation ?
Thanks

Last edited:

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I like my iMac screen to be honest and if there's a way to use that iMac as a display for my 14" MBP, I would totally keep it as it could make a sick machine running Windows.
Apple Silicon Macs do not work with target display mode on thunderbolt iMacs that are capable of target display mode. Apple has the feature blocked. Pretty messed up.

The late 2009 to mid 2010 27 inch iMacs can be used as a display with target display mode for Apple Silicon max, or any device that is capable of outputting with display port. So if you like the iMac design and display, maybe can find one of those for pretty cheap and use that. Target display mode was simple, plug and play with the mini display port iMacs, a lot easier set up Later IMAX with thunder. I wished Apple would’ve stuck with that.

There’s also hardware mods you could do to iMacs to turn them into actual displays, it involves gutting it, and buying some parts, so not exactly straightforward. The upside is that they would be a lot more energy efficient by doing the mod versus using target display mode.

Antares23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 15, 2014
Chartres, France
Okay so I'm better off selling that 2013 27" and get another display.
I would better to keep that iMac in intact condition as it could stil be used by others.

Now for about 600€, I want a 27/32" 4K display with a USB-C input that can PD at least 67W to charge the MacBook.
I think the Dell P3222QE that I've found for 400€ should be able to do the trick, it even has USB and Ethernet hub integrated to the monitor, and a USB-C connection.

On the specs sheet of that monitor, it mentions "1xUSB 3.2 (Type-C; Gen 1; upstream; 65W, DP Alt Mode)"
I know the M1 Pro 8core configuration comes with a 67W charger.
But do you think the laptop might be able to power itself with the 65W delivered by the single USB-C cable coming from the monitor ?

Because that would just be the best setup.
Every peripherals being plugged into the display, I would just have to plug one usb-c cable to my MBP once I get home and boom, desktop experience.

I kinda would've wanted to use a Thunderbolt Display because they're cool but, I guess they're just too old tech to really be practical with todays technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.