Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

11201ny

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
-2013 Mac Pro
-AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
-Dual-link mini display port toDVI adapter
-30-inch (2560 x 1600)

I have 2 issues that i can't seem to figure out:
1. My screen has horizontal flickering only visible when screen is black.
2. The Apple logo first comes up as quadruple the size, and then jumps to normal size (on the startup).

I have tried all three Thunderbolt bus's. and have reset the PRAM. The same monitor works perfectly on a 2009 Mac pro without the dual link mini to dvi adaptor - so i thought that was it, but after testing - it's not the problem.

Anyone have any suggestions?

11201ny

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
There's an ongoing out of warranty repair issue on these machines - specifically the GPUs. I'd look into that. There are threads on it here.

This is extremely helpful to know, thank you. I'll keep an eye on the video card. From what I have read, my issues seems separate - though I should probably let an Apple Genius Bar tech figure that out. Affected Mac Pros were manufactured between Feb. 8, 2015 and April 11, 2015. Mine is May, 2015.

Last edited:

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
This is extremely helpful to know, thank you. I'll keep an eye on the video card. From what I have read, my issues seems separate - though I should probably let an Apple Genius Bar tech figure that out. Affected Mac Pros were manufactured between Feb. 8, 2015 and April 11, 2015. Mine is May, 2015.

Don't let them use the out of date range to refuse a repair.
It's close enough.
Tell them to fix the damn thing.

Reactions: AidenShaw

Idolum

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2016
-2013 Mac Pro
-AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB graphics
-Dual-link mini display port toDVI adapter
-30-inch (2560 x 1600)

I have 2 issues that i can't seem to figure out:
1. My screen has horizontal flickering only visible when screen is black.
2. The Apple logo first comes up as quadruple the size, and then jumps to normal size (on the startup).

I have tried all three Thunderbolt bus's. and have reset the PRAM. The same monitor works perfectly on a 2009 Mac pro without the dual link mini to dvi adaptor - so i thought that was it, but after testing - it's not the problem.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Your first issue might actually be related to an aging Dual DVI adapter. I had the exact same problem. Make sure your firmware of the adapter is 1.03. Try a newer adapter if possible. The second 'issue' is normal since you still need to load the driver to achieve the full 2560 x 1600 resolution.

11201ny

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
Your first issue might actually be related to an aging Dual DVI adapter. I had the exact same problem. Make sure your firmware of the adapter is 1.03. Try a newer adapter if possible. The second 'issue' is normal since you still need to load the driver to achieve the full 2560 x 1600 resolution.

Thanks, I just looked - firmware is up to date (damn!).

Idolum

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2016
FYI this issue goes all the way back to 2009: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1939069?start=45&tstart=0

As an additional point ensure that the USB plug of the dual link DVI adapter is either connected directly to the Mac Pro 2013 or via an USB 3 hub. Using an older USB 2 hubs will lead to temporary loss of signals. The same goes for using two daisy chained USB hubs even when they are powered by an external power supply.

11201ny

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 28, 2014
I recently had both cards in my 2013 Mac Pro replaced by Apple (as well as all diagnostic tests), and yet my old 30" Apple Cinema Display still has horizontal lines flickering across my screen when connected.
  1. Does not happen when connected to my 2009 Mac Pro
  2. Does not happen when connected to my 2012 MacBook Air (via Dual link DVI).
I just ordered a new Eizo to replace the ACD, however - does anyone know why a 2013 Mac Pro would be such a tough match for an older screen? I personally can't figure out what's going on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.