Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LivingDead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2024
Hi guys,

This is a rather specific question:

Has anyone edited 24 fps (nothing higher!) 4K footage from mid 2010s Canon cameras like the 1DX II, 1DC or 5D IV that use the bulky MPJEG ~500Mb/ps codec? If so, how were your results? I'm not expecting short render times, just the ability to smoothly playback this codec in the timeline whilst editing, etc.

Would a decently specced out copy of this beautiful Mac handle it? I'm really interested in one at the current prices. I'm not worried at all about being able to handle macos beyond Monterey - that and the latest version of FCPX that runs on it would be fine.

Also: Is it actually worth getting a copy with D500/D700 over D300? Benchmarks seem to indicate 'not really'. Same with the 10-12 core vs 4-6 core. Does FCPX make use of them?

I remember hearing during this period that macs with FCPX had significantly better handling of video compared to similarly spec PC with Premiere/et al, so I'm hoping the 2013 would be able to handle this codec.

Thanks for any input!

- LD

R S K

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2022
Hannover, Germany
Would a decently specced out copy of this beautiful Mac handle it?
I doubt it. And why would you want to invest in such an ancient piece of hardware in the first place? Or are you getting it for FREE or something?

And how it plays has far less to do with the Mac than how well any given codec has been optimized. And this is one that has hardly been optimized, so it will do better on e.g. an M1, etc., but still not great compared to most others.

I remember hearing during this period that macs with FCPX had significantly better handling of video compared to similarly spec PC with Premiere/et al
Any Mac with Final Cut Pro (no X btw) is significantly better than Premiere, PC or not.

And this would make more sense posted in the Digital Video forum, don't you think?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.