Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orbitalpunk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
After doing a fresh install of Catalina 10.15.5, my 2013 Mac Pro freezes about twice per day. I'll be watching a video and my mouse and keyboard are no longer responsive but the video will still play. I have to force shut down.

1. has anyone else experienced this?
2. what can i do after restarting to see what caused the freeze?

Thanks

Tiem

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2020
Earth
One easy way to see if it's systemic is to create a new account and test that. Make a new user and play with it for a day or 2. If it happens there, you know it's something deeper. If not, you know it's likely some plist gone rogue.

Reactions: orbitalpunk

Langdon St. Ives

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2020
Germany
Are you sure it's not just a Bluetooth hiccup, with the mouse and keyboard disconnecting?
Maybe try turning them off and on and see if they reconnect?

Asking because you say the video keeps playing, and because I have seen different OS
versions bring about or fix Bluetooth funkiness.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
One of mine froze once with Catalina. It was the watchdog timeout error. There’s a big thread about it in the Catalina forum. Try enabling Do not Disturb for when the screen is locked and disable Power Nap.

ek9max

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2011
After doing a fresh install of Catalina 10.15.5, my 2013 Mac Pro freezes about twice per day. I'll be watching a video and my mouse and keyboard are no longer responsive but the video will still play. I have to force shut down.

1. has anyone else experienced this?
2. what can i do after restarting to see what caused the freeze?

Thanks
My mac mini started doing this too actually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.