Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James Sarantis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
4E6835D4-30FC-4AFF-A799-8043C21D7D31.jpeg

So my 2013 Mac Pro Trash Can with the cheap video graphic cards and upgraded 32 GBs of ram is going through this loop now. It started with the blue screen initially but now it only does this. It’ll load with these dashes underneath then say There’s a problem with the Mac and will restart again. I’ve done all the command keys and it goes right to this. I made a bootable startup MacOS startup thumb drive and it finally started up normally, without having to switch to it and I thought all was well but then it pooped out on my again. It won’t let me start with that boootable drive.
I’m coming to the end of my rope. I heard it could be the graphics card. If that’s the case, do I just throw this away since it hear you can’t find those cards anywhere?

Please help. I’ve had it for about 6 years with sporadic usage.
Thanks

1am0

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
well, you can try change your primary videocard. you have them 2 installed in your mac, just try to swap them.

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
Welcome , friend , to Proprietary World . And used MP6,1 GPUs are not cheap or always easily available .

Few users or even techs want to play around with reworking BGA GPU chips .

Although maybe you should re-thermal paste both graphics cards with Arctic MX4 after you removed the factory dried paste . This is not a difficult operation . It's also always necessary , given time .

You might first swap the locations of the GPUs or remove one of them and see if that improves the UI .

If memory serves one card is used for UI and the other for compute .

What model of card does your Mac have ?

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
Take it to an Apple store and see what they have to say about it. They may even repair it at no cost given there is a known GPU issue.

Reactions: macguru9999

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Take it to an Apple store and see what they have to say about it. They may even repair it at no cost given there is a known GPU issue.
good idea to try first . I would be happy to warm up your chips but im in 'straya'. i mean you cant just go down to the corner store and buy a couple of firepro cards, can you ....

James Sarantis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
good idea to try first . I would be happy to warm up your chips but im in 'straya'. i mean you cant just go down to the corner store and buy a couple of firepro cards, can you ....
Welcome , friend , to Proprietary World . And used MP6,1 GPUs are not cheap or always easily available .

Few users or even techs want to play around with reworking BGA GPU chips .

Although maybe you should re-thermal paste both graphics cards with Arctic MX4 after you removed the factory dried paste . This is not a difficult operation . It's also always necessary , given time .

You might first swap the locations of the GPUs or remove one of them and see if that improves the UI .

If memory serves one card is used for UI and the other for compute .

What model of card does your Mac have ?
AMD FirePro D300 2 GB. So are we all in agreement it’s most likely the GPU’s?

Reactions: macguru9999

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
View attachment 890980
So my 2013 Mac Pro Trash Can with the cheap video graphic cards and upgraded 32 GBs of ram is going through this loop now. It started with the blue screen initially but now it only does this. It’ll load with these dashes underneath then say There’s a problem with the Mac and will restart again. I’ve done all the command keys and it goes right to this. I made a bootable startup MacOS startup thumb drive and it finally started up normally, without having to switch to it and I thought all was well but then it pooped out on my again. It won’t let me start with that boootable drive.
I’m coming to the end of my rope. I heard it could be the graphics card. If that’s the case, do I just throw this away since it hear you can’t find those cards anywhere?

Please help. I’ve had it for about 6 years with sporadic usage.
Thanks
Did you just do the memory update?

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
AMD FirePro D300 2 GB. So are we all in agreement it’s most likely the GPU’s?

Hmmm . Of all the three GPUs, the D300s are probably the safest choice for reliability since they are low end components and less likely to suffer from thermally related issues .

James Sarantis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
So update on my solution. I just got out of the Apple Store and and I found out that they will replace the video boards and put a full 90 day warranty on the whole Mac for $500. It was either that or stick it in an easy bake oven.

Reactions: Sweetfeld28

defjam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
So update on my solution. I just got out of the Apple Store and and I found out that they will replace the video boards and put a full 90 day warranty on the whole Mac for $500. It was either that or stick it in an easy bake oven.
Did they determine the GPUs are the cause of the problem?

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019

Yeah , did Apple actually say you had a failed GPU ?

If so , here's a lucky deal for you if you are in the USA for just $130 :

James Sarantis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2020
Yeah , did Apple actually say you had a failed GPU ?

If so , here's a lucky deal for you if you are in the USA for just $130 :

Actually I was told I had the D500 GPU according to their records. So pretty good deal I guess. Thanks for the offer though.

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Actually I was told I had the D500 GPU according to their records. So pretty good deal I guess. Thanks for the offer though.
A good deal I agree, esp if they replace both boards. The 2011-12 imacs (video issue) had an extended warranty repair until about 2016 then apple washed their hands and left it to the 3rd party repairers... I imagine this type of failure is not common enough in the 2013 mac pro yet to merit an extended warranty but its good to know the parts are out there, for now....

Reactions: James Sarantis

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
That $400 full diagnostic price was worth it for me too. I just sent my newly acquired MP 2013 in to troubleshoot the failed Logic Board issue. The Apple Store tech explained that if the Depot finds anything wrong or faulty, they will replace it. It is all covered for the $400+ price. Not bad, considering these parts are almost that expensive everywhere else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.